Affiliate Professor of Law
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
- B.S. Physical Education, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, 1982
- M.A. Physical Education, University of Iowa, 1986
- J.D. Georgetown University Law Center, 1992
Cathryn L. Claussen, J.D., earned her law degree from Georgetown University and is now the director of the sport management program at Washington State University. She has been a coach and an event manager, and has also played tennis professionally. Claussen has published articles in the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, the Journal of Sport Management, and the Marquette Sports Law Review, among others. Her research interests include gender inequity and other forms of discrimination in sport, fairness issues in collegiate sport governance, and First and Fourth Amendment rights in the context of sport. Claussen has served on the editorial boards of the International Sports Journal and the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, and is a former president of the Sport & Recreation Law Association.
Civil and constitutional rights in the context of sport
- Claussen, C.L. (accepted). The evolving role of the ombudsman in American higher education. In Li,Q., & Gerstl-Pepin, C., (Eds.), Survival of the Fittest: The Shifting Contours of Higher Education in China and the United States. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Hur, Y., Ko, Y.J., & Claussen, C.L. (2012). Determinants of using sports web portals: An empirical examination of the Sport Website Acceptance Model. International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship, 13(3), 169-188.
- Hur, Y., Ko, Y.J., & Claussen, C.L. (2011). Acceptance of sport websites: A conceptual model. International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship, 12(2), 124-138.
- Claussen, C.L. (2010). The LPGA’s English proficiency rule: An-e-yo, kamsa-hamnida. Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, 20(2), 135-150.
- Sharp, L.A., Moorman, A.M., & Claussen, C.L. (equal authorship) (2010). Sport Law: A Managerial Approach, 2nd ed. Scottsdale, AZ: Holcomb Hathaway.
- 2012-present WSU Tuition Committee (by Presidential appointment)
- 2011-present Faculty Ombudsman, Washington State University
- 2011-present Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Washington State University
- 2011-present Member - WSU Athletics Council
- 2010-11 Chair-Elect, Faculty Senate, Washington State University
- 2010-11 WSU Faculty Legislative Representative to the state legislature
- 2004 -present Director, Sport Management Program, Washington State University
- Hoff Sommers (“When bad things happen to good laws: The truth about Title IX”). Sponsored by the University of Idaho College of Law chapter of the Federalist Society.
- Claussen, C.L. (September 29, 2007). “Conflict and compromise in sports history: Title IX.” Presentation for the 2007 National History Day Program’s teacher workshop; a lecture to complement the Smithsonian Institution’s traveling exhibit “Sports: Breaking records, breaking barriers.” Sponsored by the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture, Spokane, WA, and the Smithsonian Community Grant program.
- 2006 Claussen, C.L. “Gender equity in sport.” International Conference on Physical Activity and Fitness Promotion Strategies for Women and Girls. Hosted by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2006 Claussen, C.L. “Legal protection of American female student-athletes’ right to participate: An examination of the effectiveness of Title IX after 34 years.” 12th Annual Congress of the International Association for Sports Law. Hosted by the Olympic Committee of Slovenia, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- 2012 Research Fellow - Sport & Recreation Law Association
- 2011 Woman of the Year Award - Washington State University
- 2010 Betty van der Smissen Leadership Award (SRLA’s highest award) - Sport & Recreation Law Association
- 2008 Faculty Excellence Recognition - WSU Athletic Department
- 2007 Honor Award (for distinguished service to the profession) - Sport & Recreation Law Association
- 2007 Faculty Excellence Recognition - WSU Athletic Department
- 2006 Outstanding Mentor - WSU Women & Leadership Alliance Forum
- 2006 Faculty Excellence Recognition - WSU Athletic Department
- 2005 Faculty Excellence Award for Service - WSU College of Education
- 2005 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers Award
- 2005 Faculty Excellence Recognition - WSU Athletic Department
- 1996 Emerging Scholar Award - Midwest Association for College and University Physical Education