Instructors: Lela Love and Josh Stulberg
Location: University of Idaho College of Law
Date: May 19 - 23, 2014, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
BASIC CIVIL MEDIATION, co-taught by Lela Porter Love and Josh Stulberg, is a 40 hour course that explores conflict resolution, negotiation, and mediation theory through lectures, discussions, demonstrations, exercises, and role-plays. The course will look at each stage of the mediation process and various attendant strategies and skills. Participants gain a deeper understanding of both conflict and the dynamics, benefits, constraints, and the skills needed in third-party intervention in settling disputes.
What you will learn:
- The impact of cultural and other diversity on conflict and conflict resolution
- A deeper understanding of information gathering techniques and communication skills
- Confidentiality in mediation and its limitations
- Legal and policy issues in mediation
- Mediator orientation and styles
- Ethical Issues in Mediation
Both instructors bring a wide range of knowledge and experience to this course and will ensure a fruitful learning experience.