Technology Service Representative
About this position
Title:Technical Support Representative
Location: University of Idaho Student Technology Center
Part/Full: Part time
Hours: 15 - 20 hours a week
Pay: $11.00 / hour
The primary focus of this position is to assist Information Technology Services (ITS) by providing initial customer support to the University community. Duties include using excellent customer service skills to resolve and document customer questions and requests in person, by phone or by email, and assist the customer with technical questions or direct the customer to the appropriate ITS group or service. Additionally, the Technical Support Representative may be called upon to assist with and participate in special projects working with other units within ITS. Typical projects may include documentation (websites, knowledge bases, social media, etc.), event support, scheduling resources, moving equipment, providing technical customer service and other related tasks.
Applicants must be available to work 15 - 20 hours a week or more as required ranging from regular duty hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.) to various late night hours. Every effort is made to reduce conflicts based on academic obligations as necessary.
Provide information and assist customers with computer and account related problems by:
- Taking responsibility for customer satisfaction by answering questions and providing solutions through telephone, electronic, and in-person methods while utilizing an official work management system for every customer contact.
- Following support manuals or processes to provide standard IT solutions.
- Analyzing and diagnosing specific problems and researching solutions using available resources, and acting as a liaison between ITS staff and customers.
- Advising and professionally educating customers to increase their personal computer knowledge using appropriate training resources.
- Monitoring Student Computing Labs ensuring printer paper and toner remain stocked at required levels, lab cleanliness is maintained, and hardware or software issues are documented in the work management system as soon as discovered.
Provide professional customer support for other ITS departments by:
- Assisting as needed to support ITS and other technical projects across the university community.
Contribute to the team effort of the Student Technology Center by:
- Ensuring the STC is kept neat and organized and represents ITS and the University in a professional light.
- Establishing procedures and operating standards for improving work flow, learning new software and expanding knowledge of existing software.
- Participating in training and classes, cross-training with consultants and others to broaden knowledge, displaying a willingness to learn and perform other tasks as assigned.
- Effective customer service practices.
- Information technology concepts including but not limited to, internet etiquette, common software, basic computer and mobile device troubleshooting.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal, organizational and documentation skills.
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills; comfort working with technology.
- Maintain professional image.
- Maintain confidentiality by refrain from accessing unauthorized information.
- Work under general supervision and/or in a team environment.
- Perform independently, completing assigned duties within timelines.
- Evaluate needs and advise customers on the best course of action.
- Lift and carry full paper boxes and computer equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- 1 year IT technical, help desk, or customer service experience.
Professional experience with:
- Microsoft and Apple Operating Systems
- Microsoft Office 365
- Multi Factor Authentication software
- VPN and other Remote Support Software.
- Familiarity with networking, hardware support, mobile device support or other technical experience.
- Possess A+ or other industry recognized certifications.
Employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background investigation.