Skype for Business in Outlook Web App
This tutorial applies to the following operating system(s):
Windows - Macintosh
After completion, you will have knowledge of Skype for Business in the OWA environment.
Learn about the lightweight version of the Microsoft Skype for Business client that is built into the Outlook Web App version of the Office 365 email system. This tutorial will guide you through basic use of the owa client, which lacks most of the advanced features of the desktop client, but allows easy Instant Messaging communication when installing the desktop version is not an option.
Once logged in to OWA, select the Skype icon on the top right. This will open a quick access panel to Skype for Business. From this window you can see the status of your contacts and chat with them.
- Moving your mouse and hovering over icons within this panel will display more information about the item.
- You can keep the Skype for Business window open while still reading emails.
- Each contact will display name, availability, and when they were last seen online.
- Green is available, Yellow is away from keyboard, red is busy, grey or blank is offline.
- Contacts that are not available will receive messages as missed conversations through email.
- To hide/close the Skype for Business panel, click the Skype icon again.
If you need to add additional contacts, you can do so by searching for your contact's name in the search field, next to the magnifying glass. Simply type in the name of your contact and hit the enter key.
The screen will change and your contact's card should pop up. To add the contact to your list, click on their card and then click the Add to Contacts button to add the contact.
To initiate a conversation, double-click your contact from the contacts list. Once you have selected your contact, the window will change to a chat window. From here, you can use the chat interface in exactly the same manner as the desktop client for instant messaging.
The best way to contact multiple people through the OWA Skype for business interface is to select the New Chat icon then select or search for the contacts you wish to IM. To start the conversation with your selected contacts, click the check mark at the bottom of the window.
To end an instant messaging session, right-click on their icon below the New Chat icon, to the right of the chat window, and select Close Conversation. The session will be terminated immediately. The chat window will revert to Skype for Business Contacts.