Professional Development and Learning works together with UI’s Banner trainers to offer employees a successful and efficient Banner training experience. If you have comments or suggestions on your training experience, please contact us.
If you are new to Banner you will need to follow our steps-to-success to ensure you take the right classes in the appropriate order.
Complete all employment/affiliate paperwork with Human Resources. You must have an EPAF initiated for a banner account to be created. Complete step one before moving on to step two.
Complete I-9, W-4 and other employment paperwork at Human Resources. Then the department initiates an EPAF. An EPAF must be initiated for a Banner account to be created.
Affiliates (non-employee users)
Complete the affiliate paperwork from Human Resources. Then the department initiates an EPAF. An EPAF must be initiated for a Banner account to be created.
Take Banner Navigation Training:
- Go to Banner Navigation Training. Watch the training and respond to the questions throughout. Complete the electronic form at the end of the training to initiate your Banner account request.
- Within 24 hours of the account request, ITS/MIS will create the Banner user account. The employee can then login to help.uidaho.edu to change his or her password (required to sync all user accesses). The ITS Help Desk may be contacted with questions.
- After consulting with your supervisor about your job duties, review the Banner class information and identify the classes you need to take and in which order.
- Take classes online, register for the next available class(es) or request a class be scheduled through the Banner Training Portal.
Only when you have a Banner account created should you proceed to step three. It is not recommended taking additional training until you have a Banner account as trainers will be unable to grant accesses to users without an account.
Register for other Banner training that you have a job-related reason to take:
- Work with your supervisor to determine specific training you will need to take.
- You can find information about which classes are pre-requisites for other classes in the Classes and Contacts Directory. A general rule to remember is you must complete the Query class for the module you need access to (HR Query, Finance Query, Student Query, etc.) before taking or requesting other classes within those modules.
- You can find all online Banner training on the Online Banner Training page.
- Live training is available upon request. Visit the Live Training page for details.
Things You Need to Know
As a Banner user, you will automatically be subscribed to the BannerInfo listserv and will remain a listserv member for the duration you are an active Banner user. This listserv is used to provide all Banner users at the University of Idaho an understanding of what is going on in the Banner community as well as provide important information about Banner training, reminders, upgrades, deadlines, issues, etc. If you would like to send a message to all Banner users, submit the email to BannerInfo@uidaho.edu. Emails should be relative to Banner, Banner Training, processing reminders, scheduling changes, etc., and will be moderated.
The Navigation Keys and Icons sheet is a handy tool for every Banner user. Download it and keep a copy handy.
You can use the Java Check tool to make sure that your computer has the correct version of Java installed to successfully use Banner.
If you will be working from off-campus, such as from home or while traveling, you will need to ensure you have a secure VPN connection.