Extension Educator — Agriculture, Assistant Professor
University of Idaho Extension, Boundary County
6447 Kootenai Street
PO Box 267
Bonners Ferry, ID 83805
Kate provides educational programming in farm management, cereal and forage production, livestock production, horticulture and small farm production. She also offers training for the Idaho Master Gardener program.
Ph.D., Washington State University, 1992
M.A., Washington State University, 1982
B.A., Washington State University, 1979
- Sustainable agriculture
- Enterprise budgeting
- Management intensive grazing
- Local food systems, including community gardens, farmers markets, cooperatives and online markets
- Walsh, O. and K. Painter. 2018. A Grower's Guide to Successful On-Farm Research. BUL 914, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID. January.
- Painter, K. 2017. Cost and Returns Baseline for the Dryland Grain Annual Cropping Region of the Pacific Northwest for 2011-2015 with a 2016 Comparison. PNW701, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID. December.
- Wachter, J.M., K. Painter, L.A. Carpenter-Boggs, D.R. Huggins, J.P. Reganold. 2019. Productivity, economic performance, and soil quality of conventional, mixed, and organic dryland farming systems in eastern Washington State. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 286(2019)106665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2019.106665.
- Pan, W.L., K. Painter et al. 2017. Integrating Historic Agronomic and Policy Lessons with New Technologies to Drive Farmer Decisions for Farm and Climate: The Case of Inland Pacific Northwestern U.S. Front. Environ. Sci. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2017.00076 https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fenvs.2017.00076/full.
- Painter, K., E. Myhre, A. Bary, C. Cogger and W. Jemmett. 2015. Breakeven Analysis of Small Scale Organic Broiler Production for Cornish Cross Strains. Pacific Northwest Extension Publication PNW665, Moscow, ID.
- Yorgey, G.G., K. Borrelli, A. McGuire, and K. Painter. 2018. Strip-tilled and direct-seeded vegetables integrated with cattle grazing: Eric Williamson. (Farmer to Farmer Case Study Series). Pacific Northwest Extension Publication PNW704, Pullman, WA.
- Connolly, J.R., McCracken, V.A., and K.M. Painter. 2016. Enterprise budgets: Wheat & canola rotations in eastern WA intermediate rainfall (12-16") zone. Oilseed Series. Washington State University Extension Technical Bulletin TB010E. http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/TB10E/TB10.pdf
- Kirby, E.M., Pan, W.F., Huggins, D.R., Painter K.M. and P Bista, 2017. Rotational diversification and intensification. Ch. 5 in Advances in Sustainable Dryland Farming in the Inland Pacific Northwest. Washington State University Extension Publication EM108, Pullman, WA.
- Painter, K., J. Miller and N. Olson. 2010. Cost and Returns for Irrigated Organic Russet Burbank Potato Production in Southern Idaho. University of Idaho Extension Bulletin 876, December. http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/BUL/BUL0876.pdf
- Painter, Kathleen M. An Analysis of Food-Chain Demand for Differentiated Farm Commodities: Implications for the Farm Sector. 2008. Research Report 215, Washington, DC: USDA, Rural Development-Cooperative Programs, February. http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/RBS/pub/Painter_Report_Small.pdf
Kate Painter is an assistant professor and agricultural Extension educator with University of Idaho. Painter provides educational programming in the areas of cereal and forage production, livestock production, horticulture and small farm production. She also provides assistance in the area of value-added production and online marketing, based on her own successful small sheep fiber business that she owned and operated for 12 years. In addition, Painter offers training for the Idaho Master Gardener program in Boundary County.
Painter received her B.A. in communications from Washington State University. She received a M.A. and a Ph.D. in agricultural economics, also from Washington State University. She has been with the University of Idaho since 2009. Formerly she worked in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology in Moscow, Idaho, where she taught Farm Management and Enterprise Budgeting.
Painter was raised in Washington State, where she lived on a farm in central Washington where her family raised irrigated crops and livestock. She served in the Peace Corps in the Philippines after receiving her master's degree from Washington State University. She and her husband live in Bonners Ferry, Idaho, where they have raised fruit and vegetables on a small acreage. She has two grown daughters, Hannah and Carolyn.
- 2019 National Runner Up, Excellence in Teamwork: Team, for Cultivating Success, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- 2019 Western Region First Place Award, Excellence in Teamwork: Team, for Cultivating Success, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- 2018 Sustainable Agriculture SARE Fellow, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Chattanooga, TN
- 2018 National Award Winner for a Learning Module, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Chattanooga, TN (Agenbroad, A., DePhelps, C., Golden, L., Hamilton, M., Jensen, J., Mayes, I., Newman, S., Painter, K., Ruiz, R., Snyder, A., Stachowski, E., Werlin, J., Williams, C., Young, M.
- National Winner, Communications Award, Learning Module: Starting Your Sustainable Small Farm notebook, National Association of Agricultural Agents), 2018
- Second Place Poster, Graduate Student Division, poster presented at the annual ASA/CSSA/SSSA meetings, Long Beach, CA, 2014
- University of Idaho College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Outstanding General Support Staff Award, 2011-12.
- 2011 Washington State University College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences, Interdisciplinary Team Award, 2011
- 2009 USDA-CSREES Partnership Award for Innovative Program Models Award, 2009
- 2003 Honorable Mention (first runner-up), Outstanding Journal Article in Review of Agricultural Economics, 2003
- Outstanding Publication of the Year Award from the Southern Agricultural Economics Association (publication from dissertation), 1996