Northern District Director
University of Idaho Extension, Northern District
1031 North Academic Way, Ste 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Mike provides leadership for the University of Idaho Extension programs in the northern district. In that role he provides leadership and administrative function for hiring and supervision of Extension educators, budget and evaluation, promotion and tenure and building relationships with stakeholders and other partners in the ten county region.
M.S., Agricultural Education, University of Idaho, 1973
B.S., Agricultural Education, University of Idaho, 1972
- Livestock production
- Range management
Northern Extension Director, Professor (February 2007 to present)
University of Idaho Extension
College of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Coeur D’Alene, Idaho
- Principal UI Extension administrator for the 10 county northern Idaho region.
- Provide overall leadership for UI and CES diversity, civil rights, affirmative action and equal opportunity policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and guidance to faculty and staff required for developing staffing plans, assessing priorities and training needs and allocating and developing resources to meet the identified needs in the region.
- Provide leadership and facilitate the hiring of quality faculty and staff, provide oversight and function for evaluating performance, tenure and promotion.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with County Boards of Commissioners, other elected officials and regional higher education units.
- Manage budgets and assist county chairs in development and support of county budgets.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the UI Coeur D’ Alene Center, UI Extension and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences to advance the practice of University-wide Extension in North Idaho.
- Working member of the Dean’s Leadership Group, CALS Promotion & Tenure Committee, and Statewide Extension Advisory Committee.
- Initiated, prepared and successfully defended 9 promotion and tenure packets since 2007.
- Successfully developed through negotiation and program planning efforts the creation of 3 new Area Extension Educator positions (water quality, food systems, cereal crops) in the Northern District.
Interim Eastern Extension District Director
Southern Area Extension Director (February 2005 - February 2007)
University of Nevada Reno
Las Vegas, Nevada
- Principal Administrator managing all human, capital, financial ($10 million annual budget) and physical resources in the Southern Nevada region (Clark, Lincoln, South Nye) serving 120 faculty and staff in the 3 locations.
- Provided leadership and oversight for the construction of the UNCE Life Long Learning Center, a 43,000 square foot, state-of-the-art teaching facility on 9.5 acres in Las Vegas.
- Provided leadership and vision to help define and develop the UNCE Life Long Learning Center into an Urban Center for extension outreach and programs for the 1.8 million residents in the greater Las Vegas area.
- Initiated the creation of a successful partnership between UNCE and the Nevada Center for Ethics & Health Policy (UNR-NCEHP) to help provide statewide collaboration for the promotion of ethical and appropriate healthcare.
- Served as an integral member of University of Nevada Cooperative Extension administrative team in helping develop and implement Federal, State, and University policies and procedures.
- Provided leadership and guidance to faculty and staff required for developing staffing plans, assessing priorities, performance evaluation and all functions related to tenure and promotion.
- Facilitated the hiring of quality faculty and staff.
- Developed a positive working familiarity with area people, agencies, and resources, geographic and political structures within the greater Las Vegas area.
County Administrator (June 2003 - December 2005)
University of Hawaii-Manoa
- Principle administrator managing all human, capital, financial and physical resources for UH Manoa-Kauai.
- 50/50 administrative split between extension and research serving two office locations on the island.
- Provided leadership for 300-acre tropical research facility & Kauai Extension Office.
- Provided leadership and function to faculty and staff required for developing staffing plans, assessing priorities, performance evaluation and all functions related to tenure and promotion.
- Provided leadership, collaboration and access to Kauai Community College and Department of Hawaiian Homelands to help establish a Community Agribusiness Micro Enterprise program.
- Provided leadership and coordination between Kauai Farm Bureau, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources and the Hawaii Department of Lands to develop and identify economic incentives in the revitalization of the Kauai papaya industry.
- Serve as the direct island representative for the Dean of the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources in all functions related to Extension and Research activities on Kauai.
Administrative Chair/Superintendent, Professor (1993 to 2003)
Southern Oregon Research & Extension Center
Oregon State University Extension/College of Agriculture
- Principal administrator managing all human, capital, financial and physical resources for Southern Oregon Research and Extension Center-Oregon State University, 2 county region.
- Provided leadership and oversight for the development of new Southern Oregon Research and Extension Center including construction of a new Extension office and remodel of the existing research facility.
- 50/50 administrative split between Extension and Research programming.
- Superintendent for 125 acre horticultural/agronomic research facility, faculty & staff.
- Provided leadership and function to all faculty and staff required for developing staffing plans, assessing priorities, performance evaluation and all functions related to tenure and promotion.
- Provided leadership and service to advance the practice of University-wide Extension and Research in the Southern Oregon region working closely with the Dean, Director of Extension and University Central Administration.
- Developed business plan to address OSU initiatives; marketing, recruitment, and extended education.
- Provided leadership and oversight for Jackson and Josephine County Extension programs.
Extension Educator/County Chair, Associate Professor (1978-1993)
Malheur County Extension Educator
Oregon State University Extension
- Provided leadership and function for educational outreach and extension programs for range/livestock and water quality in Malheur County Oregon.
- Provided leadership as Malheur County Administrative chair providing leadership for all human, capital, financial and physical resources serving 10 faculty and staff.
- Facilitate all functions related to the development of staff plans and performance evaluation for all faculty and staff.
- Provided leadership and extension programming for range livestock and water quality programs in Malheur County.
Vocational Agriculture Instructor (1977-1978)
Nyssa Oregon School District
Extension Educator/Instructor (1973-77)
Oregon State University Extension
- Provided leadership for extensions programs in 4-H Youth Development and Range Livestock in Morrow County Oregon.