Interim UI Extension, Northern District Director
Courthouse, Room 3
University of Idaho Extension, Idaho County
320 W. Main
Grangeville, ID 83530
Jim provides leadership and support for the 10 northern counties. He previously served as Extension educator in Idaho County, providing educational programs for commercial livestock producers and managing the 4-H animal science program.
M.S., University of Idaho
B.S., University of Idaho
- Animal science
- Grazing cover crops
- Grazing management
- Spring planted forage production
- Willmore, C.M., Baker, S.D., Church, J.A., and Small, M.H. Young Cattle Producers Conference Develops Leaders in Idaho. Ideas at Work, Journal of Extension. October 2020.
- Finkelnburg, D., Hart, k., and Church, J.A. Cover Crops Effects on Crop Yields in a Four-Year Rotation in Rainfed North Central Idaho. Journal of Extension. Summer 2020.
- Eborn, Ben., and Church, James. Cow-Calf Budget: 250 head Northern Idaho, Summer on Private Range, Winter Feeding Necessary. University of Idaho EBB-CCI-20, 2020 Costs and Returns.
- Hart, K., Brooks, R., and Church, J.A. Pasture Principles for Smaller Acreages. University of Idaho Extension Bulletin, BUL 849. Fall 2020.
Jim Church began his Extension career with Washington State University in 1983. After working for WSU for 4 years, Jim accepted an Extension educator position with the University of Idaho in 1987 located in Idaho County in Grangeville. He has worked for the University of Idaho for 33 years.
Jim received both his master's and bachelor's degrees from the University of Idaho. Jim has been married to his wife Julie for 41 years and he has three grown sons and five grand children. Jim’s hobbies include golf, raising cattle and he has been doing play-by-play broadcasting on the radio for local high school football and basketball games for 23 years. He is known as “the Voice of the Camas Prairie.”
Work career: Jim specializes in providing education for beef cattle producers in the entire North Idaho district from Riggins to the Canadian border. He provides education on management, marketing, financing and production of beef cattle operations. He also conducts research with local cooperating ranches. Some highlights of his research over the years include:
- Electronic identification of beef cattle
- Ammoniation of Low Quality Forages
- Cover crop grazing
- Alfalfa variety trials
- Spring planted forage trials
- Intensive grazing
- Low cost ration formulation for beef cattle
Jim also serves as the chair of the Annual Idaho Young Cattle Producer Conference that is held in partnership with the Idaho Cattle Association.
- Distinguished Service Award from the National Association of County Agricultural Agents.
- Idaho's nominee for the National Association of County Agricultural Agents Hall of Fame Award.
- Awarded the Outstanding Play-by-Play Sports Broadcaster in Idaho by the Idaho Broadcasters Association.