U of I has challenged Idaho State University to a Food Fight. The team with the most pounds of canned food collected by kickoff on Oct. 19 wins. The losing team’s alumni director must post a congratulatory video to social media wearing the other team's colors.
Food collected during this event will benefit those who are uncertain of when food will be available. People who are food insecure deal with daily stress of not knowing if they or their families will have meals. This stress and lack of nutrition leads to difficulty concentrating, lower immunity to illness and increased depression. According to Feeding America, one in eight Idahoans is food insecure.
Help us fight food insecurity in Idaho!
Food Fight Canned Food Drive beings Oct. 7 and ends Oct. 19 at 2:30 p.m.
Moscow drop off/bin locations
- Moscow VandalStore, 710 S. Deakin St. Moscow
- Wallace Residence Center Housing Office, 1080 W. 6th St. Moscow
- Office of Alumni Relations, 1212 Blake Ave, Moscow
- Moscow Chamber of Commerce, 411 S. Main Street, Moscow
- Center for Volunteerism and Social Action, Idaho Student Union Building (formerly Idaho Commons) room 301
- Outside of Einstein Bros. Bagles, Idaho Student Union Building (formerly Idaho Commons) 2nd floor
- Vandal Food Pantry Donation Box, Bruce M. Pitman Center
U of I students will blanket Moscow Oct. 14 with food drive bags and information, they will return to residences Oct. 17 to pick up donated items. These collections will add to the total.
Statewide drop off locations
Tell employees of The Idaho Foodbank you want your donation to go to support the U of I Vandals team in the Food Fight.
- Boise VandalStore, 821 W. Idaho Street, Boise, ID
- U of I Boise Center, 322 E. Front Street, Boise, ID
- U of I Coeur d’Alene Center, 1031 N. Academic Way, Coeur d’Alene, ID
- U of I Idaho Falls Center, Bennion Student Union Building, 1784 Science Center Drive, Idaho Falls ID
- Boise Idaho Food Bank, 3562 S. TK Ave., Boise, ID
- Pocatello Idaho Food Bank, 555 S. 1st Ave, Pocatello, ID
- Lewiston Idaho Food Bank, 3331 10th St., Lewiston, ID
Every dollar donated can purchase five meals! Monetary donations accepted and an algorithm will be used to calculate pound equivalent that will support our goal.
Most needed non-perishable items:
- Fruits canned in juice or extra light syrup
- Canned vegetables
- Whole grain pasta
- Brown rice
- Cooking oils
- Baking powder, baking soda
- Canned or dried beans
- Canned meals
- Nut butters
- Milk alternatives (boxed or canned)
- Personal care items (toilet paper, diapers, toothpaste/toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, deodorant)
- Tomato products (reduced sodium)
Donated items will be collected by The Idaho Foodbank, and distributed on campus through the Vandal Food Pantry and statewide.