Denise Bauer, Ph.D.
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2010
B.S. Engineering Science, The University of Tennessee-Knoxville, May 2001
M.S. Industrial Engineering, The University of Tennessee-Knoxville, December 2006
Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, December 2007
Human Factors Engineering
- Bauer, D.H. & Freivalds, A. (2009). Backpack load limit recommendation for middle school students based on physiological and psychophysical measurements. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment
and Rehabilitation, 32 (3), p.339-350.
- Bauer, D.H. & Okudan, G.E. (2009).Implementing technological communication for online class group
work. Proceedings of the IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Miami, FL, May 30-June 3.
- Bauer, D.H. & Freivalds, A. (2008). A comparison of two middle school backpacks with varying comfort features under an increasing load. Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and
Ergonomics Society, New York, NY, September 21-26.
- Bauer, D.H. & Okudan, G.E. (2008). Group communication via technology for engineering work:
perceptions on effectiveness. Proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition,
Pittsburgh, PA, June 22-25.
- Bauer, D.H. & Okudan, G.E. (2008).The current use of technological communication in Industrial Engineering group work. Proceedings of the IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Vancouver, BC, May 17-
- Bauer, D.H. & Freivalds, A. (under review). Psychological aspects of backpack load and safety and health in children. In Load Carriage in School Children: Epidemiology and Exercise Science
- Instructor for Engineering Design group that was awarded “Best Engineered Design” in the College of
Engineering Design Showcase, Fall 2008
- Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant
Finalist, The Pennsylvania State University, 2005 and 2006
- General Electric Faculty for the Future Fellowship, The Pennsylvania State University, 2004
- Provost Graduate Teaching Award, The University of Tennessee-Knoxville, 2003