Suat Ay, Ph.D., P.E.
Suat Ay, Ph.D., P.E.
- Ph.D., University of Southern California, 2004
- M.S., University of Southern California, 1997
- B.S., Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul Turkey, 1991
- Mixed-signal VLSI design
- Analog electronics
- Image sensors
- Sensors and sensor electronics
- High-Speed IC design
Suat Ay is associate professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Idaho. He received his master's degree and doctorate in electrical engineering –electrophysics from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, in 1997 and 2004. From September 1997 to July 2007, he worked in the industry as VLSI design engineer specializing in the area of mixed-signal VLSI design and CMOS image sensors. He was with Photobit Corporation which later became the Micron Technology Inc.’s Imaging Division in 2001 and Aptina Imaging in 2008, and On Semiconductor in 2014. He joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of University of Idaho on August 2007 as assistant professor and promoted to associate professor in 2013.
His research focuses on VLSI analog and mixed-signal integrated circuit (IC) design techniques for new class of baseband and RF circuits and systems, on intelligent sensor systems with emphasis of reconfigurable, secure, flexible electro-optical circuit and devices, and on self-sustained and smart CMOS sensors for remote wireless network and systems. He is a member of IEEE Solid State Circuits, IEEE Circuit and Systems, IEEE Electron Devices and SPIE societies.
- F. N. Zghoula, S. U. Ay, A. Ababneh, “Gain And Offset Analysis of Comparator Using The Bisection Theorem And A Balanced Method,” International Journal of Electronics, 2016 (in print)
- I. Cevik, S. U. Ay, “An Ultra-Low Power Energy Harvesting and Imaging (EHI) Type CMOS APS Imager with Self-Power Capability,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems-I, vol.62/9, pp 2177-2186, Sept. 2015.
- I. Abougindia, I. Cevik, S. U. Ay, Fadi N. Zghoul, “A Precision Comparator Design with a New Foreground Offset Calibration Technique” Int. Journal of Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Volume 83, Issue 2, pp 243-255, May 2015.
- I. Cevik, S. U. Ay, “ A 0.8V 140nW Low-Noise Energy Harvesting CMOS APS Imager with Fully Digital Readout,” The IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC), pp.1-4,San Jose, CA,USA,Sept.15-17, 2014.
- A. Dewan, S. U. Ay, M. N. Karim, H. Beyenal, “Alternative power sources for remote sensors: A review,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 245, Pages 129–143, Jan. 2014.
- I. Abougindia, I. Cevik, S. U. Ay, Fadi N. Zghoul, “A Fast Two-Step Coarse-Fine Calibration (CFC) Technique for Precision Comparator Design”, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems, page(s): 153-156, December 8-11, 2013, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- A. Mesgarani, I. Abougindia, S. U. Ay, ”A 6-bit 1.5GS/s Pipelined Binary Search ADC with Simplified Clocking Scheme” in Proc. of IEEE Int. Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), page(s): 896 - 899, 04-07 August 2013, Columbus, OH, USA.
- S. U. Ay, “Boosted CMOS APS Pixel Readout for Ultra Low-Voltage and Low-Power Operation,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems-II, Vol.60-6, pp. 341-345, June 2013.
- W. Tongxi, Y. Mei, H. Xiwei, W. Benfei, Y. Hao, Y. K. Seng, I. Cevik, S. U. Ay, “A 96x96 1V self-powered CMOS Image Sensor for Biomedical Application,” 2012 IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS), pp.13-16, Dec. 2nd - 5th 2012, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- S. U. Ay, “A CMOS Energy Harvesting and Imaging (EHI) Active Pixel Sensor (APS) Imager for Retinal Prosthesis” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, vol. 5, no.6, pp. 535-545, Dec 2011.
- S. U. Ay, ”Energy Efficient Supply Boosted Comparator Design,” Journal of Low Power Electronics and Applications, vol.1, no.2, pp:247-260, 2011.
- S. U. Ay, “A 1.32pW/frame.pixel 1.2V CMOS Energy Harvesting and Imaging (EHI) APS Imager” in 2011 International Solid- State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), pp.116-117, 20-24 February 2011, San Francisco, CA, USA
- S. U. Ay, “A Sub-1Volt 10-bit Supply Boosted SAR ADC Design in Standard CMOS,” An International Journal of Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, vol. 66/2, pp. 213-221. Feb. 2011.
- S. U. Ay, “Compact CMOS Power-on-Reset Pulse Generator Design with Low-power and Wide Operation Range,“ Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers (JCSC), Vol:19, Issue:6, pp.1365-1380, October 2010.
- S. U. Ay , Large Format CMOS Image Sensors: Performance and Design, VDMVerlag Dr. Muller Press, 2008 (ISBN:978-3-8364-7052-0)