B.S. Materials Science & Engineering
Inquiries into Materials
Investigate the properties, fabrication processes and behaviors of many different types of materials, from metals and ceramics to semiconductors and biomaterials, and apply this knowledge to improve or create new materials for a variety of purposes as an engineer in this field. Students have the opportunity to conduct experiments in modern labs.
- Energy and Electronics
- Polymers and Plastics
- Pulp and Paper
- Nuclear Materials
- Biomedical and Natural Materials
- Packaging and Formulation
- Idaho’s Best Value College – the only public college in Idaho to be ranked a best value college by Forbes, Money, U.S. News and World Report and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- Highest Early-Career Salary Earnings of any 4-year public college in Idaho for undergraduate degree recipients – Payscale
- More than $30M in Scholarships U of I awards more scholarships than any 4-year public college in Idaho. – 2019/20 Financial Aid Data
- 87% Graduate with a Job or are enrolled in graduate education – Career Outcomes Survey
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
- International Competition Teams - Materials science and engineering student teams frequently place top three in international design competitions.
The Materials Science and Engineering undergraduate degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.