University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

Parents on campus during orientation

Homecoming Oct. 14 - 21

Join other Vandal families for a week of celebration and Vandal traditions. View Calendar

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn about UIRA

M.S. Civil Engineering

An approved thesis is required for Master of Science degrees.

Course work requirements in the degree program are relatively flexible depending on student interest and course availability. Financial assistance is available on a competitive basis in the form of instructional or graduate research assistantships. Areas of specialty include the following:

  • Environmental Engineering
  • Geotechnical Engineering
  • Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
  • Ecohydraulics (in Boise only)
  • Structural Engineering
  • Transportation Engineering
  • Highway and Pavement Materials

Entrance requirements for the College of Graduate Studies apply. Foreign students must have a TOEFL score of at least 550 for admission to any departmental graduate degree program. Applicants for admission generally will have a B.S. degree in civil engineering. Graduate degree applicants not holding B.S. degrees in civil engineering are required to show evidence of completing the following undergraduate coursework: mathematics through differential equations, and one semester each of chemistry, physics and engineering statics. Once admitted, additional preparatory coursework will be determined by the student’s advisory committee and/or as prerequisites to courses listed in the student's study plan.

Master of Science (M.S.) degree:

Candidates for graduate study must fulfill the requirements of the College of Graduate Studies and of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering. See the College of Graduate Studies section (Part 4) of the University of Idaho Catalog. In addition, master's degree students are required to complete at least 12 credits of 500-level courses having a CE prefix, not including CE 500, 502, 503, 597, 598 and 599. Master's degree students are required to complete at least 12 credits in courses associated with one of the subdisciplines of civil engineering listed above. On their plan of study, candidates are restricted to a maximum of 6 credits of coursework with a grade of 'C'.

An approved thesis is required for Master of Science degrees. A maximum of 6 credits of CE 500, Master's Research and Thesis, can be used to fulfill M.S. degree requirements.

Contact Us

Buchanan Engineering Building Rm. 102

Mailing Address:

Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1022
Moscow, ID 83844-1022

Phone: 208-885-6782