Structural engineering involves the engineering and design of structural systems, such as:
- Bridge Design—designing a variety of bridges from rural stream crossings to interstate grade separations and major river crossings.
- Project Development—overseeing the initial stages of engineering projects such as the scope of work, site selection and economic feasibility.
- Finite Element Analysis—determining the structural safety of the airframes of commercial jet planes.
- Offshore Structures—designing new offshore structures and determining the adequacy of existing platforms.
- Structural Systems—designing the structural systems of office buildings, schools and commercial buildings.
- Resident Engineer—oversees the construction of bridges, roadways and a variety of other structures for a state transportation department.
For additional information regarding studies in structural engineering, contact Dr. Richard Nielsen