Julia Mahfouz, Ph.D.
Julia Mahfouz, Ph.D.
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3080
Moscow, ID 83844-3080
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, Educational Leadership, minor in Curriculum and Instruction & Comparative and International Education, 2017
- M.A., American University of Beirut, English Literature, 2005
- T.D., American University of Beirut, Teaching Secondary Classes, 2002
- B.A., American University of Beirut, English Literature, 2002
- Dissertation of the Year Finalist of Leadership in School Improvement SIG at AERA, 2018
- Donald J. Willower Dissertation Award in Educational Leadership, 2017
- Recipient of Robert F. Nicely, Jr. & Donna C. Nicely Doctoral Student Research Fund in Education, 2016
- David L. Clark Scholar, 2016
- Recipient of Robert Mitstifer Memorial Fund Award, 2016
- Barbara Jackson Scholar, UCEA, 2015-17
Julia Mahfouz is an assistant professor in the Educational Leadership program, Department of Leadership and Counseling at the University of Idaho. She has a Ph.D. from the Pennsylvania State University in Educational Leadership with minors in Comparative International education and Curriculum & Instruction. Her research agenda has been shaped by her educational work as an international educator in the capacity of high school teacher, department chair, principal (K-12), and curriculum director.
Her research explores the social, emotional, and cultural dynamics of urban and rural educational settings and their effects on school climate and school improvement utilizing qualitative and mixed methodologies. Her work seeks to deepen our understanding of social emotional learning (SEL) through lenses of intervention implementation, school improvement efforts, and preparation of school leaders to create spaces equitable for all where all could flourish utilizing policy as a lever for change and as a powerful context that shapes education at multiple levels of the system.
Her research has been published in journals such as Journal of Educational Administration, Educational Management Administration and Leadership, International Journal of Leadership in Education, Education and Urban Society, Mindfulness, College Student Affairs Journal, and in practitioner outlets such as The Learning Professional and Education Canada.
- School Improvement
- Professional Development
- Principal Preparation Programs
- Qualitative Research
- Social Emotional Learning
- School Climate
- CARE: Cultivating Awareness and Resilience in Education
- Mindfulness and Principals
- Mission Statements
- Social Justice
- TAMAM Evaluation
- Karami, R., Mahfouz, J., & Mansour, S. (2019). Sustaining School-based Improvement: Considering Emotional Responses to Change. Journal of Educational Administration. DOI: 10.1108/JEA-01-2018-0022
- Broderick, P., Frank, J., Barrena, E., Schussler, D., Kohler, K., Mitra, J., Khan, L., Levitan, J., Mahfouz, J., Shields, L., Greenberg, M. (2019). Evaluating the Quality of Mindfulness Instruction Delivered in School Settings: Development and Validation of a Teacher Quality Observational Rating Scale. Mindfulness,10 (1), 36-45. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-018-0944-x
- Mahfouz, J. (2018). School Administrators and Stress: Few Coping Strategies for Abundant Stressors. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 1-19. doi.org/10.1177/1741143218817562
- Mahfouz, J., Barkauskas, N., Sausner, E., & Kornhaber, M. (2018). Leadership Roles of Administrators under the Common Core Reform. Education and Urban Society, 50 (9), 793 – 817. DOI: 10.1177/0013124517714309
- Mahfouz, J. (2018). Mindfulness Training for School Administrators: effects on Well-being and Leadership. Journal of Educational Administration, 56 (6), 602 – 619. DOI: 10.1108/JEA-12-2017-0171
- Mahfouz, J., Sausner, E. B., & Kornhaber, M. L. (2018). U.S. International Schools Overseas and the Common Core. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 1-15. doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2018.1481529
- Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Broderick, T., Dvorakova, K., Argusti, M., & Greenberg, M. (2018). Ensuring College Student Success through Mindfulness-based Classes: Just BREATHE. College Student Affairs Journal, 36 (1), 1 -16. DOI: 10.1353/csj.2018.0000
- Levitan, J., Mahfouz, J., & Schussler, D. (2018). Pragmatic Identity Analysis as a Qualitative Interview Technique. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung/Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 19 (3), 1- 22. https://doi.org/10.17169/ fqs-19.3.3032
- Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Mahfouz, J., Frank, J., Kohler, K., Broderick, P.C., Mitra, J., Oh, Y., Berrena, E., & Greenberg, M, (2018). Evaluating student cognitive and social-emotional growth during a high school mindfulness course using mixed-method design. SAGE Research Methods Cases. 10.4135/9781526446428.
- Kornhaber, M.L., Barkauskas, N., Griffith, K., Sausner, E., & Mahfouz, J. (2017). The Common Core’s Promises and Pitfalls Per Policy Entrepreneurs and Ground-Level Actors. Journal of Educational Change, 18 (4), 385 – 412. doi.org/10.1007/s10833-017-9306-z
- Smith, W. C., Fraser, P., Chykina, V., Ikoma, S., Levitan, J., Liu, J., & Mahfouz, J. (2017). Global citizenship and the importance of education in a globally integrated world. Globalisation, Societies and Education, 15 (5), 648 - 665. https://doi.org/10.1080/14767724.2016.1222896
- Schussler, D.L., Frank, J., Lee, TK , & Mahfouz, J. (2017). Using Virtual Role-Play to Enhance Teacher Candidates’ Skills in Responding to Bullying. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 25 (1), 91 – 120. https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/173571/