Julia Mahfouz, Ph.D.
Julia Mahfouz, Ph.D.
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3080
Moscow, ID 83844-3080
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, Educational Leadership, minor in Curriculum and Instruction & Comparative and International Education, 2017
- M.A., American University of Beirut, English Literature, 2005
- T.D., American University of Beirut, Teaching Secondary Classes, 2002
- B.A., American University of Beirut, English Literature, 2002
- Dissertation of the Year Finalist of Leadership in School Improvement SIG at AERA, 2018
- Donald J. Willower Dissertation Award in Educational Leadership, 2017
- Recipient of Robert F. Nicely, Jr. & Donna C. Nicely Doctoral Student Research Fund in Education, 2016
- David L. Clark Scholar, 2016
- Recipient of Robert Mitstifer Memorial Fund Award, 2016
- Barbara Jackson Scholar, UCEA, 2015-17
Julia Mahfouz is an assistant professor in the Educational Leadership program, Department of Leadership and Counseling at the University of Idaho. She has a Ph.D. from the Pennsylvania State University in Educational Leadership with minors in Comparative International education and Curriculum & Instruction. Her research agenda has been shaped by her educational work as an international educator in the capacity of high school teacher, principal (K-12), and curriculum coordinator.
Mahfouz’s research interests include exploring the social and emotional dynamics of educational settings and their effect on school climate. She has examined the influence of mindfulness-based professional development program (CARE) on the well-being and leadership of school administrators. Principals who practice mindfulness acquire better self-awareness, self-management, and self-compassion which aids in effective leadership. She is particularly focused on applying this research to improving principal preparation programs and enhancing the principals’ social-emotional competencies and their capacity to cultivate a supportive learning environment for improved student outcomes and over-all school improvement.
- School Improvement
- Professional Development
- Principal Preparation Programs
- Qualitative Research
- Social Emotional Learning
- School Climate
- CARE: Cultivating Awareness and Resilience in Education
- Mindfulness and Principals
- Mission Statements
- Social Justice
- TAMAM Evaluation
- Mahfouz, J., Sausner, E. B., & Kornhaber, M. L. (2018). U.S. International Schools Overseas and the Common Core. International Journal of Leadership in Education. doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2018.1481529
- Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Mahfouz, J., Frank, J., Kohler, K., Broderick, P.C., Mitra, J., Oh, Y., Berrena, E., & Greenberg, M. (2018). Evaluating student cognitive and social-emotional growth during a high school mindfulness course using mixed-method design. SAGE Research Methods Cases. 10.4135/9781526446428.
- Mahfouz, J. (2018). Mindfulness Training for School Administrators: effects on Well-being and Leadership. Journal of Educational Administration.
- Broderick, P., Frank, J., Barrena, E., Schussler, D., Kohler, K., Mitra, J., Khan, L., Levitan, J., Mahfouz, J., Shields, L., Greenberg, M. (April 2018). Evaluating the Quality of Mindfulness Instruction Delivered in School Settings: Development and Validation of a Teacher Quality Observational Rating Scale. Mindfulness. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-018-0944-x
- Mahfouz, J., Levitan, J., Schussler, D., Broderick, T., Dvorakova, K., Argusti, M., & Greenberg, M. (2018). Ensuring College Student Success through Mindfulness-based Classes: Just BREATHE. College Student Affairs Journal, 36 (1).
- Mahfouz, J., Barkauskas, N., Sausner, E., & Kornhaber, M. (2017). Leadership Roles of Administrators under the Common Core Reform. Education and Urban Society. DOI: 10.1177/0013124517714309
- Schussler, D.L., Frank, J., Lee, TK , & Mahfouz, J. (2017). Using Virtual Role-Play to Enhance Teacher Candidates’ Skills in Responding to Bullying. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education.
- Schussler, D., Frank, J., Wright, M., Lee, T. K., & Mahfouz, J. (2017, March). Using Virtual Roleplay Modules to Develop Teacher Candidates’ Competence in Communicating About Bullying. In Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference(pp. 2243-2251). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Kornhaber, M.L., Barkauskas, N., Griffith, K., Sausner, E., & Mahfouz, J. (2017). The Common Core’s Promises and Pitfalls Per Policy Entrepreneurs and Ground-Level Actors. Journal of Educational Change, 1- 28. doi.org/10.1007/s10833-017-9306-z
- Smith, W. C., Fraser, P., Chykina, V., Ikoma, S., Levitan, J., Liu, J., & Mahfouz, J. (2016). Global citizenship and the importance of education in a globally integrated world. Globalisation, Societies and Education, 1-18.