Take on the role of an effective communicator
Learn to apply principles of effective communication in a variety of professional, cultural and interpersonal settings. Interact with top-notch faculty and develop essential career skills to become an effective communicator. This degree combines a solid foundation in the liberal arts with strong communication skills.
Coursework for the degree includes classes in interpersonal, organizational and intercultural communication, as well as persuasion and conflict management. In addition to being offered on campus, communications is a degree you can complete fully online at U of I.
The multidisciplinary nature of this field will train you for many diverse businesses and industries. It will prepare you to enter a variety of high-demand occupations that are experiencing high growth, including public relations, sales, editing and writing. This program will help you learn how to navigate an ever-changing media landscape. You’ll discover how communication skills are essential to selling products and building relationships with stakeholders, investors and clients.
This program could be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working with people
- Have good verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Are a strong writer
- Like working with diverse populations
- Equal opportunity representatives and officers
- Social and community service managers
- Public relations specialists
- Customer service representatives
- Meeting, convention and event planners
- Marketing managers
- Lodging managers
- Human resources managers
- Survey researchers
- Sales representatives, wholesale and manufacturing (except technical and scientific products)
- Recreation workers
Film and Television Studies, B.A./B.S.
Broadcasting & Digital Media, B.A./B.S.