The University of Idaho is committed to providing excellent support services for students who are deaf and hard of hearing. The goal of the staff at Disability Support Services (DSS) is to provide access to academic programs, events and services at the university.
Services available through DSS include:
- Real-time captioning
- Interpreting in ASL, PSE or SEE
- Notetaking services
- Assistive listening devices
- Priority registration
- Referral to campus services
Communication services are available for the following activities:
- Student classes
- Activities required by the instructor
- Meetings between UI students and faculty/staff
- UI- and ASUI-sponsored activities
To Request Services
Processing requests can be time-consuming. Students are advised to request services as soon as possible. To request services:
- Provide documentation of disability. Documentation must have a diagnosis and be on the letterhead of a certified medical professional.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with a DSS staff member. Appointments can be made by calling (208) 885-6307 or by visiting room 306 of the Commons.
- Meet with DSS staff to discuss appropriate accommodations. Accommodations are based on need demonstrated in disability documentation, availability of services and personal preference.
Deaf and hard of hearing students who receive support services must notify the Captioning Coordinator if they plan on missing a class.
Contact the DSS office or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the class begins. Give the name of the class, class time and day, and the type of service provided (Interpreter, Notetaker, or Captionist).
Policies for Arriving Late or No-Show for Class
- Captionists will wait for 10 minutes for a student to show before leaving class. If you know you are running late or know you will be late to class on a certain day, please email Brandon Faunce at email@example.com or call (208) 885-6307.
- If a student misses 2 days of class in a row without notifying the Captioning Coordinator, services will be suspended until the student contacts DSS.
Request an Interpreter
Contact DSS during regular business hours at (208) 885-6307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request testing accommodations, notetaking services, interpreters and more.
Contact Disability Support services at (208) 885-6307 or email email@example.com.