Raju Pokharel, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Forest Resources 2016, Mississippi State University, Mississippi, U.S.A.
- M.B.A. Ethames Graduate School 2011, University of Sunderland, London, U.K.
- M.S. Environmental Sciences 2007, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- B.S. Environmental Sciences 2005, Tri-Chandra College, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Multiple-use natural resource management and economics
- Biomass and other renewable energy
- Ecosystem services
- Carbon accounting and climate change mitigation
- Human dimensions of natural resources
- Recreation and tourism
- Pokharel, R., Grala, R. K., & Grebner, D. L. (2017). Woody residues utilization for bioenergy by primary forest products manufacturers: An exploratory analysis. Forest Policy and Economics, 85 Part 1, 161-171.
- Pokharel, R., Grala, R. K., Grebner, D. L., & Grado, S. C. (2017). Factors affecting utilization of woody residues to produce bioenergy in the southern United States. Biomass and Bioenergy, 105, 278–287.
- Pokharel, R., Poudel, J., & Grala, R. K. (2018). Impact of economic factors and a political conflict on international tourism demand in Nepal: A vector error correction model. International Journal of Tourism Policy, 8(1), 18-41.
- Pokharel, R., Poudel, J., Sharma, A., & Grala, R. K. (2017). A study of climate variability and socioeconomic impact on tourism industry of Nepal. Sustainability in Environment, 2(1), 20–34.
- Adhikari, R. K., Kindu M., Pokharel R., Castro L. M., & Knoke T. (2017). Financial compensation for biodiversity conservation in Ba Be National Park of Northern Vietnam. Journal of Nature Conservation, 35, 92–100.
- Pokharel, R., Grala, R., & Grebner, D.L. (2018). A spatial econometric model to determine willingness to utilize logging residues to produce electricity by primary forest product manufacturers. Forest Science (In Review).
- Pokharel, R., Poudel, J., & Adhikari R.K. (2018). Demand and supply of forest products in Bandevi Buffer Zone Community Forest User Group, Chitwan National Park, Nepal. Journal of Forestry and Livelihood (In Review).
- Pokharel, R., Grala, R. K., & Grebner, D. L. (2018). Procurement potential and willingness of the primary forest product manufacturers in the southern United States to utilize logging residues to produce electricity (Submitted).
- Pokharel, R., & Latta G. (2018). A network analysis to identify hotspots in which merchantability may limit forest management across the northwestern United States. (In Preparation).
- Pokharel, R., Latta G., & Ohrel S. (2018). Evaluating the probability of wildfire occurrences in the United States. (In Preparation).
- Pokharel, R., Grala, R.K., 2016. Utilization of woody residues to produce bioenergy by primary forest products manufacturers in the southern United States (Doctoral Dissertation). Mississippi State University, Starkville, USA.
- Pokharel, R., Bhatta S.R., 2009. People, pressure and conservation issues of Bandevi Barandavar Community Forest, Chitwan National Park, Nepal (Master’s Thesis). Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Pokharel, R., Kereszturi, G., 2011. The impact of recession in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs): A case study of Bridgepark Hotel (Master’s Thesis). University of Sunderland, London, UK.
- Pokharel, R. 2008. Community perception of climate change in eastern Kathmandu; A case study through student mobilization. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Sharma A.R., Pokharel R. 2009. Community vulnerability and adoption of climate change in Khudi, Nepal. Center for Disaster Management Nepal, Kathamndu, Nepal.
- Pokharel R., Bista R. , Joshi H.D., Manandhar R., Manandar S., Pokharel S., Joshi T.R., Kafle M. 2008. Environmental study of Begnas watershed. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Pokharel R., Bista R. , Joshi H.D., Manandhar R., Manandar S., Pokharel S., Joshi T.R., Kafle M. 2006. Environmental study of Phewa watershed. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Pokharel, R. 2004. Water quality analysis of Kathmandu Valley. Trichandra College, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Young Energy Researchers Award, Young Energy Researcher Conference, World Sustainable Energy Days on 28 February – 1 March 2018 in Wels/Austria
Invited to give an oral presentation as a young researcher. Only 30 researchers were selected from all over the world.
- 2016 Moehring Outstanding Graduate Student Award PhD Level
- Travel Assistance Grants for Graduate Students (TAGGS) Award (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Research & Action Grants for Disaster Risk Reduction (DDR) (Round III), 2007/08, Innovative action-oriented projects for DRR at community, ProVention Consortium, Switzerland and Center for Disaster Management (CDM), Kathmandu, Nepal (2007/08)
- Mentorship and small grant for Master of Science Thesis, The Resources Himalaya Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal (2006)
- Three student poster competition awards [first place at the International Society of forest Resource Economics (ISFRE) meeting, April 3–5, Raleigh, NC (2016); Second Place at Joint Annual Meeting between Western Forest Economists (WFE) and the International Society of forest Resource Economics (ISFRE), May 31–June 2, Faculty of Forestry at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada (2015); First Place at Annual Conference, National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness (NCITEC) Oct 31-Nov 1, Mississippi State, MS (2013)]