The Department of Forest Products focuses on several areas of interest including:
- Wood Construction and Design
- Wood Chemistry and Composites
- Forest Operations
- Forest Products Business and Marketing
- Natural Resource Economics and Policy
The department faculty and staff can provide contract testing and evaluation services on a fee basis.
Some examples of past contract work include but are not limited to:
- Evaluation of finger joints (ASTM D 5572)
- Evaluation of duration of load and creep effects of particle board (ASTM D 6815)
- Evaluation of ash content in wood (ASTM D 1102) with additional testing to determine ash melting point.
- Chemical analysis utilizing Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry
- Wood composite (OSB, particle board, etc.) manufacturing and testing (ASTM D 1037)
- Tree ring and panel profiles using the QMS Densitometer
- Carbohydrate Analysis