Brian A. Ellison
Professor of Politics and Public Administration
302A Administration Building
Department of Politics and Philosophy
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 3165
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3165
Brian A. Ellison is the Director of the Idaho Local Government Initiative and the Master of Public Administration program.
- Ph.D. Colorado State University
- MPA University of Wyoming
- MA University of Wyoming
- BS University of Wyoming
Brian A. Ellison is a Professor of Politics and Public Administration, Director of the Idaho Local Government Initiative, and Director of the Master of Public Administration program. Dr. Ellison conducts research on local government administration, economic development, intergovernmental relations, and public administration. His published work has appeared in journals and edited volumes, including Policy Studies Journal, Natural Resources Journal, Administration and Society, International Journal of Public Administration, State and Local Government Review, Environmental Management, Publius: The Journal of Federalism, Policy Studies Review, American Review of Public Administration, Public Administration Review, and others. Dr. Ellison was the founding Chair of the Department of Politics and Philosophy at the University of Idaho, Director of the Martin School at the University of Idaho, Chair of the Department of Government and Justice Studies at Appalachian State University (North Carolina), and director of the Master of Public Administration programs at the College of Charleston (South Carolina) and Missouri State University (Missouri). Professor Ellison has international experience as a visiting Professor at China University of Political Science and Law, Fulbright Senior Scholar in Bulgaria, Fulbright Hayes Scholar in Bulgaria and Turkey, visiting Professor of International Relations at St. Petersburg State University in Russia, visiting professor of political science at Liaoning Normal University in China, and as a higher education consultant for the Open Society to Yerevan State University in Armenia. He has represented his university and given invited lectures in Mexico, Armenia, Czechia, Poland, Bulgaria, India, and other countries.
- Environmental Politics
- Public Administration and Policy
- Brian A. Ellison and Todd L. Cherry. "The Animas-La Plata Water Project: Assessing the Costs of Native American Water Rights Settlements." Currently under review at the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
- Brian A. Ellison and Adam J. Newmark, “Building the Bridge to Nowhere: The Role of Agencies in Advocacy Coalitions,” Policy Studies Journal, 38.4 (2010): 653-678.
- Brian A. Ellison, “Bureaucratic Politics, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the Animas-La Plata Project,” Natural Resources Journal, 49.2 (2009): 367-401.
- Brian A. Ellison, “Public Administration Reform in Eastern Europe: A Research Note and a Look at Bulgaria,” Administration and Society, 39.2 (April 2007): 221-232.
- Brian A. Ellison, “Bureaucratic Politics as Agency Competition: A Comparative Perspective,” International Journal of Public Administration, 29.13 (2006): 1259-1283.
- Brian A. Ellison, “Institutional Controls and Local Autonomy in Land Use Planning:Balancing Economic Development and Environmental Protection in Jasper County, Missouri,” State and Local Government Review, 33.2 (Spring 2001): 133-143.