Associate Professor of Political Science and Women's and Gender Studies, Director of Women's and Gender Studies, Service-Learning Center Faculty Fellow
Admin Building 205
Department of Political Science
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 3165
Moscow, ID 83844-3165
Sandra Reineke is an associate professor of political Science and is the coordinator of the Women's Studies program at the University of Idaho. Her areas of interest include political philosophy, international relations, democratic theory and citizenship, bioethics and human rights.
- Ph.D., Indiana University, 2004
- B.A., Freie Universität Berlin, 1992
- European Politics
- Gender and Politics
- International Relations
- Political Philosophy
- Simone de Beauvoir
- Reineke, Sandra. Beauvoir and Her Sisters: The Politics of Women’s Bodies in France. Champaign and Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press, 2011.
- Reineke, Sandra. “Fashioning Female Citizens: Popular Women’s Magazines and Reproductive Rights in Fifth Republic France,” Contemporary French Civilization Vol. 34 (1) (Winter/Spring 2010): 41-72.
- Reineke, Sandra. “Border Crossings: Simone de Beauvoir, Feminist Intellectual Exchanges, and the Organization of Women’s Studies Programs in France, Germany, and the United States,” Simone de Beauvoir Studies Vol. 25 (2008-2009): 63-80.
- Reineke, Sandra. “In Vitro Veritas: New Reproductive and Genetic Technologies and Women’s Rights in Contemporary France,” International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics, Vol. 1 (1) (2008): 91-125.
- Reineke, Sandra. “Pretty Pictures: Beauvoir’s Feminist Critique of French Consumer Culture in The Second Sex and Les Belles Images,” Simone de Beauvoir Studies, Vol. 24 (2007-2008): 32-48.
- President’s Mid-Career Faculty Award, University of Idaho (2014-2016).
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Grant (CFDA 45.129), Idaho Humanities Council (March 2015).
- Summer Research Grant, College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences, University of Idaho (Summer 2015).
- Oxfam America Women’s Leadership Award, University of Idaho Chapter (March 5, 2015).
- University of Idaho, International Studies Program, Distinguished Service Award (2012).
- Seed Grant, University of Idaho, University Research Office (2009-2010).
- Fellow, Human Communities Research Consortium, College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences, University of Idaho (2010-present).
- Martin Scholar, Bioethics and Biotechnology Studies, Martin School of International
- Studies, University of Idaho (2009-2010).
- University of Idaho Alumni Award for Faculty Excellence (Fall 2010).
- University of Idaho Interdisciplinary or Collaborative Efforts Excellence Award (Fall 2009).
- University of Idaho Alumni Award for Faculty Excellence (Fall 2009).
- Kurt O. Olson Early Career Research fellowship, University of Idaho, College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences (2007-2008).
- Seed Grant, University of Idaho, University Research Office (2007-2008).
- University of Idaho Alumni Award for Faculty Excellence (Fall 2005).
- Best Dissertation Award Nomination by the American Political Science Association (APSA) Human Rights Organized Section for Imagined Sisterhood: The Political Struggle Over Women’s Bodies in Postwar France, 1944-1993 (2005).