In addition to the Graduate School requirements, the School of Music requires submission of three (3) recent original compositions. It is suggested that recordings to accompany the scores be submitted.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS (30 credits)
Required Core – 8 credits
- MusC 521 Musical Analysis (3 credits)
- MusH 501 Seminar: Music History (2 credits)
- MusX 511 Bibliography and Research (3 credits)
Required Major Courses – 12 credits
- MusC 526 Composition (6 credits)
- MusC 500 Master’s Research and Thesis (6 credit)
- MusC 590 Recital (0 credit)
(Note: The thesis shall consist of an original, large scale composition. The recital shall consist of a public recital of original works as approved by the supervisory committee.)
Electives – 10 credits
Electives are selected by the student in consultation with the supervisory committee. Selection must include, in addition to the required core courses, one course in either music history and literature (MusH) or music theory (MusC).