Program of General Studies

Physical Address:
Admin. Bldg. 112
Phone: (208) 885-2024
Fax: (208) 885-8964

Mailing Address:
College of Letters,
Arts & Social Sciences
c/o University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3154
Moscow, ID 83844-3154

FAQ - Transfer & AP Credit

How do I find out if the classes I took at another school will transfer?
First, check the Transfer Guides on the Registrar's website to determine how classes will be evaluated from other schools.  Once your official transcript from the other school is received it will be evaluated and the credits will appear on your online transcript.  If you have further questions about your transfer credit contact the Registrar's Office at or (208) 885-6731.

How will the classes I took at another school count toward my degree program at UI?
Once the credit has been evaluated, the transferred courses will be included on your degree audit report, which you access through Vandal Web.  If you have questions about transferred courses and your degree program you should speak with your advisor.

Why do some of the  classes I transferred in appear as a course number 000 on my transcript?
When a course from another institution does not have a direct equivalent at UI, credit is given as an elective.  The course work appears on your transcript under the appropriate subject with a course number of 000.  If you have questions about using these elective courses to satisfy your degree requirements you should discuss it with your advisor.  You and your advisor will need to complete a Degree Audit Substitution/Waiver Request (Download PDF) to apply these courses to specific degree requirements.

Can I get credit for the AP class I took in high school?
If the test score you received on the AP exam is high enough then you may earn credit.  Once your official exam score is received by the Registrar's Office it will be evaluated for credits.  The Advanced Placement Exam score requirements are available on the Registrar's website, or you may contact them should you have more questions.

What if I disagree with my English or Math placement?
Your initial English and Math placement is based upon your ACT or SAT scores.  If you feel that your test score does not accurately reflect your ability, you may take the COMPASS exam through the Counseling & Testing Center as an alternative placement.

How do I challenge a course?
With permission from the course instructor, department chair, and your academic dean you may challenge courses.  See the Online Form (Download PDF) for further information.