Program of General Studies

Physical Address:
Admin. Bldg. 112
Phone: (208) 885-2024
Fax: (208) 885-8964

Mailing Address:
College of Letters,
Arts & Social Sciences
c/o University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3154
Moscow, ID 83844-3154

FAQ - Registration Issues

I have a hold on my record.  What do I do?
After logging into VandalWeb, select the View Holds option on the Registration Menu or select the View Holds option at the bottom of the screen. You can determine what type of hold has been placed on your account and see the contact information for which office to ask about having the hold released from your record.  If you have an Advisor Hold, see "Why do I have an Advisor Hold on my registration". 

Why do I have an Advisor Hold on my registration?
Each semester as an undergraduate student, you must meet with your academic advisor to discuss class choices and long-term planning.  Advisors offer advice based on what your educational and career goals are.  Once you have met with your advisor, s/he will remove the Advisor Hold so that you may register on VandalWeb.

How do I register for classes?
All registration is done online through the UI's web registration system.  Instructions for VandalWeb registration are available on the Registrar's Office website

What is a waitlist?
A department can choose to have waitlists form when class reaches its maximum capacity.  Information about how the wait list system works is available on the Registrar's Office website.

I'm trying to register and I keep getting a "PREREQUISITE NOT MET" error even though the prerequisite course was waived or substituted. Why?
Degree substitutions and waivers do not satisfy course prerequisites for registration purposes.  If the course instructor agrees that you have adequate preparation, the instructor can enter a Registration Override online to allow you to register for the course.  Contact the course instructor or department to discuss your options.

I need to be enrolled full-time because of my financial aid. What is full-time?
As an undergraduate you are required to be enrolled in 12 or more credits per semester to be considered full-time; graduate students are required to be enrolled in 9 or more credits to be considered full-time.  Note that full-time fees are charged when you enroll in 8 or more credits, but this does not qualify for enrollment purposes.

I need to drop a class, what happens if I drop below full-time?
There are several variables in answering this question so you may want to check with financial aid if dropping below full-time becomes necessary.  Generally, you will need to satisfactorily complete 75% of the credits you begin the semester with.  Thus, for full-time status you must earn 18 credits for the academic year.  Check the financial aid Satisfactory Progress Policy for futher information.

Can I drop a course?
It depends upon the date.  For courses that last the full semester, you are allowed four weeks to drop without a grade of W; from the fifth through the eighth week of the semester you may withdraw with a grade of W being recorded on your transcript.  Courses that last for short periods or only part of the semester have different deadlines; contact the Registrar's Office for specifics.  Dates for the current semester can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Does a W affect my GPA?
No, W's are not calculated into your GPA.  However, you should note that as an undergraduate you are allowed only 20 credits of W during your career at UI.

Can I take a correspondence class?
Yes.  Independent Study in Idaho (ISI) offers a variety of courses for college credit.  ISI coordinates correspondence courses offered by all Idaho institutions.  UI courses offered through ISI will appear on your UI transcript, but if the course is offered through another institution, you will need to make sure to have your official transcripts sent to the UI for a transfer credit evaluation.