Research interests in my laboratory involve naturally occurring toxicants of microbial or environmental origin and the effect of various food processes on their chemistry and biological effects. An area of emphasis is chemical and toxicological fate of mycotoxins, a diverse group of secondary metabolites produced by certain fungi. Current projects include the risk assessment of ochratoxin A in the U.S. We are also developing culturally sensitive education programs for the deaf teenagers to reduce foodborne illness.
Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1997
M.S., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1992
B.S., Korea University, 1989
- Food safety
- Molds and mycotoxins in food
- Methods to detect mycotoxins
- Effects of processing on chemical and toxicological properties of mycotoxins
- Food safety education for at-risk and hard-to-reach population
- Robinson, A.L., H.J. Lee, J. Kwon, E. Todd, F. Rodriguez, and Dojin Ryu. 2016. Adequate hand washing and glove use are necessary to reduce cross-contamination from hands with high bacterial loads. J. Food Prot. 79(2):304-308.
- Lee, H.J. and D. Ryu. 2015. Advances in mycotoxin research: Public health perspectives. J. Food Sci. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13156.
- Kuruc, J.A., J. Hegstad, H.J. Lee, K. Simons, D. Ryu, and C. Wolf-Hall. 2015. Infestation and quantification of ochratoxigenic fungi in barley and wheat naturally contaminated with ochratoxin A. J. Food Prot. 78(7):1350-1356.
- Bianchini, A., R. Horsley, M.M. Jack, B. Kobielush, D. Ryu, S. Tittlemier, W.W. Wilson, H.K. Abbas, S. Abel, G. Harrison, J.D. Miller, W.T. Shier, and G. Weaver. 2015. DON Occurrence in Grains: A North American Perspective. Cereal Foods World 60(1):32-56.
- Lee, H.J. and D. Ryu. 2015. Significance of ochratoxin A in breakfast cereals from the United States. J. Agric. Food Chem. doi: 10.1021/jf505674v.
- Liu, X., Y. Xu, D.B. Wan, Y.H. Xiong, Z.Y. He, X.X. Wang, S.J. Gee, D. Ryu, and B.D. Hammock. 2015. Development of a nanobody-alkaline phosphatase fusion protein and its application in a highly sensitive direct competitive fluorescence enzyme immunoassay for detection of ochratoxin A in cereal. Anal. Chem. 87(2):1387-94. doi: 10.1021/ac504305z.
- Nguyen, K.T.N. and D. Ryu. 2014. Ultrasonic extraction with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for the analysis of ochratoxin A in processed cereal products. J. AOAC Int. 97(5):1384-1386.
- Lee, H.J., Z. Anderson, and D. Ryu. 2014. Gluten contamination in foods labeled as ‘gluten-free’ in the United States. J. Food Prot. 77(10):1830-1833.
- Lee, H.J., A.D. Meldrum, N. Rivera, and D. Ryu. 2014. Cross-reactivity of antibodies with phenolic compounds in pistachios during quantification of ochratoxin A by commercial ELISA kits. J. Food Prot. 77(10):1754-1759.
- Nguyen, K.T.N. and D. Ryu. 2014. Development of a stir bar sorptive extraction method for analysis of ochratoxin A in beer. J. AOAC Int. 97(4):1092-1096.
- Nguyen, K.T.N. and D. Ryu. 2014. Concentration of ochratoxin A in breakfast cereals and snacks consumed in the United States. Food Control 40:140-144.
- Scholarship Award College of Health Sciences, Texas Woman’s University, 2012
- Distinction in Scholarship Texas Woman’s University, 2009
- Post-doctoral Research Fellowship Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, 1998
- ETCGP Graduate Fellowship Environmental Toxicology and Carcinogenicity Graduate Program, Eppley Cancer Institute, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1995-1997