College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Plant, Soil and Entomological Sciences
Plant Science South Division Chair and Professor
Ph.D., University of Idaho
M.S., Colorado State University
B.S., Washington State University
Potato and Onion Cropping Systems
- Novy, R.G., J.L. Whitworth, J.C. Stark, B.A. Charlton, S. Yilma, N.R. Knowles, M.J. Pavek, T.L. Brandt, S. Gupta, N. Olsen, M. Thornton, C.R. Brown, D.L. Corsini, J.J. Pavek, S.R. James, D.C. Hane, H. Lozoya-Saldana, and M.L. Vales. 2012. Palisade Russet: A late blight resistant potato cultivar having a low incidence of sugar ends and high specific gravity. American J Potato Research 89:89-101.
- Toevs, E.A., J.F. Guenthner, A.J. Johnson, C.S. McIntosh and M.K. Thornton. 2011. An industry perspective on all-native and transgenic potatoes. AgBioForm 14(1):14-19.
- Toevs, E.A., J.F. Guenthner, A.J. Johnson, C.S. McIntosh and M.K. Thornton. 2011. Identity preservation systems for genetically modified potatoes. American J Potato Research 88:303-308.
- Atkinson, D., M.K. Thornton and J.S. Miller. 2011. Development of Rhizoctonia solani on stems, stolons and tubers of potatoes. II. Efficacy of chemical applications. American J Potato Research 88:96-103.
- Thornton, M.K., W. Buhrig, and N. Olsen. 2010. The relationship between soil temperature and sugar ends in potato. Potato Research 53:298-296.
- Thornton, M.K., J. Miller, P. Hutchinson and J. Alvarez. 2010. Response of potatoes to soil-applied insecticides, fungicides and herbicides. Potato Research 53:351-358.
- Atkinson, D., M.K. Thornton and J.S. Miller. 2010. Development of Rhizoctonia solani on stems, stolons and tubers of potatoes. I. Effect of inoculum source. American J Potato Research 87:374-381.
- Deweerd, J. W., M.K. Thornton and B. Shafii. 2010. Sprout suppressing residue levels of 1,4dimethylnapthalene (1,4DMN) in potato cultivars. American J Potato Research 87:434-445.
- Thompson, A.L., S.L. Love, J.R. Sowokinos, M.K. Thornton and C.C. Shock. 2008. Review of the sugar end disorder in potato (Solanum tuberosum, L.). American J. Potato Research. 85:375-386.
- Nolte, P., J.L. Whitworth, M.K. Thornton and C.S. McIntosh. 2004. Effect of seedborne Potato virus Y on performance of Russet Burbank, Russet Nokotah and Shepody potato. Plant Disease. 88:248-252.
Conducts applied research to resolve production issues identified by the potato and onion industries. His potato research program focuses on cultural management of new potato cultivars, with emphasis on appearance of specialty cultivars. His onion research program focuses on thrips control and reducing decay in storage.
- Idaho Governor’s Award for Excellence in Agriculture, Technical Innovation (2012)
- University of Idaho College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Dean’s Achievement Award (2001)
- University of Idaho Alumni Service Award (2001)
- Idaho-Eastern Oregon Onion Industry Appreciation Award (1997)
- Idaho Grower Shipper Association Outstanding Service Award (1996).
- Potato Association of America Graduate Student Paper Awards, First Place (1990)
- National Potato Council Auxiliary Scholarship (1989)