Interim Superintendent and Professor
Kimberly Research and Extension Center
3793 N 3600 E
Kimberly, ID 83341-5082
Ph.D., Utah State University
M.S., University of Idaho
B.S., University of Idaho
- Forage management and utilization
- Alfalfa and grass forage quality
- Provides forage management and utilization Extension program leadership statewide
- Provides support for intensive pasture grazing systems and the environmental effects of grazing, as well as management, to improve forage quality, production and utilization
- Conducts alfalfa variety trials
- Casler, M.D., Y.A. Papadopolous, S. Bittman, R.D. Mathison, D.H. Min, J.G. Robins, J.H. Cherney, S.N. Acharya, D.P. Belesky, S.R. Bowley, B.E. Coulman, R. Drapeau, N.J. Ehlke, M.H. Hall, R.H. Leep, R. Michaud, J. Rowsell, G.E. Shewmaker, C.D. Teutsch, and W.K. Coblentz. 2013. Submitted to Crop Science.
- Brink, Geoffrey, M. Hall, G. Shewmaker, D. Undersander, N. Martin, and R. Walgenbach. 2010. Changes in alfalfa yield and nutritive value within individual harvest periods, Agronomy Journal 102:1274-1206
- Jensen, K.S., C. Cheyney, J. Hawkins, W. Gray, G. Shewmaker, S. Williams, T. Griggs, J. Gerrish. 2009. Lost Rivers Grazing Academy: Building Sustainability in Livestock Production. Journal of Extension 47(1). (Online) http://www.joe.org/joe/2009february/iw4.php
- Shewmaker, G.E., D.A. Johnson, and H.F. Mayland. 2008. Mg and K Effects on Cation Uptake and Dry Matter Accumulation in Tall Fescue (Festuca arundinacea). Plant Soil 302:283–295. doi:10.1007/s11104-007-9482-3
- Shewmaker, G.E., H.F. Mayland, C.A. Roberts, P.A. Harrison, N.J. Chatterton, and D.A. Sleper. 2006. Daily Carbohydrate Accumulations in Tall Fescue Accessions. Grass and Forage Science 61:413-421.
- Entry, J.A., R.E. Sojka, and G.E. Shewmaker. 2004. Irrigation Increases Inorganic Carbon in Agricultural Soils. Environmental Management 33: Supplement 1, S309–S317.
- Entry, J.A., J.J. Fuhrmann, R.E. Sojka, and G.E. Shewmaker. 2004. Influence of Irrigated Agriculture on Soil Carbon and Microbial Community Structure. Environmental Management 33: Supplement 1, S363–S373.
- Hall, M.H., J.A. Jennings, and G.E. Shewmaker. 2004. Alfalfa establishment guide. Forage and Grazinglands (Online) doi:10.1094/FG-2004-0723-01-MG
- Shewmaker, G.E., D.A. Johnson, H.F. Mayland, S.A. Martin, and S.B. Hansen. 2004. Elemental uptake in relation to root characteristics of tall fescue. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 35:1339-1355.
- Entry, J.A., R.E. Sojka, and G.E. Shewmaker. 2002. Management of irrigated agriculture to increase organic carbon storage in soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 66:1957-1964.
- Don Hale Hall of Fame Award presented by the Idaho Hay and Forage Association, 2011
- Merit Award from American Forage and Grassland Council, 2010
- American Society for Agronomy Educational Materials Award for Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest PNW 614. Presented by division A04—Extension Education—of the American Society for Agronomy at the ASA Annual Meeting, 2010
- Western Extension Agricultural Experiment Station Directors 2010 Awards of Excellence, Regional Qualifying Program, 2010
- University of Idaho Excellence in Extension Award for writing Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest PNW 614. This was a team award; tam members included from the University of Idaho: Charles Cheyney, Glenn Shewmaker, Shannon Williams, Sarah Baker, Scott Jensen, Brian McLain, Howard Neibling, Christine Falen, Oliver Neher, Tianna Fife, John Hall, Jim Church, Rikki Wilson, Kelly Crane, J. Benton Glaze, C. Wilson Gray and Diane Noel; from USDA; Dan Ogle and Loren St. John; and from Producer/Consultant: Jim Gerrish and Laura Hooper, 2010
- National Association of County Agents Excellence in Extension Award; NACAA National Award in Search for Excellence in Livestock Production for The Lost Rivers Grazing Academy Team. Team members included Scott Jensen, Jim Hawkins, Chad Cheyney, Shannon Williams, Wilson Gray, Glenn Shewmaker, Jim Gerrish (Grazing Consultant) and Tom Griggs (Utah State), 2007
- Outstanding Publication (1-12 pages) for Alfalfa: the high quality hay for horses awarded by A-04 division of American Society for Agronomy, 2005
- Outstanding Publication (over 12 pages) for Idaho Forage Handbook awarded by A-04 division of American Society for Agronomy, 2005
- Best Soil & Water Management & Conservation Division (S-6) Paper in volume 66 of the Soil Science Society of America Journal titled Management of Irrigated Agriculture to Increase Organic Carbon Storage in Soils, 2003