AgBiotech, Room 111
Department of Plant Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2333
Moscow, ID 83844-2333
Fu’s teaching includes botany; crop genetics and breeding; and plant science seminars. Fu has been working in wheat molecular genetics involving germplasm innovation, genetic transformation, map-based gene cloning, fungal disease resistance and male sterility.
Ph.D., Kansas State University, 2003
M.S., Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1999
B.S., Shandong Agricultural University, China, 1994
- Develop spring wheat (2x) mutant population using ethyl methanesulfonate (EMS) to provide resources for functional genomics
- Develop winter wheat (6x) mutant populations using EMS, gamma ray, and fast neutrons to provide resources for variety development
- Optimize biolistic bombardment in winter wheat to facilitate wheat functional genomics and variety development
- Establish the CRISPR/Cas9 targeted genome editing in wheat for functional genomics and precision breeding
- Validate genes that potentially regulate disease resistance (etc. Yr10 and Yr28), wheat falling numbers (etc. Amy3) and male sterility (Ms2)
- Identify agronomically important genes using map-based gene cloning to meet the global food challenge
- Hao, Q., W. Wang, X. Han, J. Wu, B. Lyu, F. Chen, A. Caplan, C. Li, J. Wu, W. Wang, Q. Xu*, D. Fu*. 2018. Isochorismate-based salicylic acid biosynthesis confers basal resistance to Fusarium graminearum in barley. Molecular Plant Pathology: 19(8): 1995-2010.
- Yuan, C., J. Wu, B. Yan, Q. Hao, C. Zhang, B. Lyu, F. Ni, A. Caplan, J. Wu*, D. Fu*. 2018. Remapping of the stripe rust resistance gene Yr10 in common wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 131(6): 1253-1262.
- Ni, F., J. Qi, Q. Hao, B. Lyu, M.-C. Luo, Y. Wang, F. Chen, S. Wang, C. Zhang, L. Epstein, X. Zhao, H. Wang, X. Zhang, C. Chen, L. Sun, and D. Fu*. 2017. Wheat Ms2 encodes for an orphan protein that confers male sterility in grass species. Nature Communications, 8, 15121.
- Li, K., J. Hegarty, C. Zhang, A. Wan, J. Wu, G.L.B. Guedira, X. Chen, Fu D.*, Dubcovsky J.* 2016. Fine mapping of barley locus Rps6 conferring resistance to wheat stripe rust. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 129: 845-859.
- Pei, H., Q. Sun, Q. Hao, B. Lv, J. Wu, and D. Fu*. 2015. The HSP90-RAR1-SGT1 based protein interactome in barley and stripe rust. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 91: 11-19.
- Lv, B., R. Nitcher, X. Han, S. Wang, F. Ni, K. Li, J. Wu, J. Dubcovsky*, and D. Fu*. 2014. Characterization of FLOWERING LOCUS T1 (FT1) gene in Brachypodium and wheat. PLoS ONE 9: e94171.
- Liu, M., C. Zhang, C. Yuan, L. Zhang, L. Huang, J. Wu, J. Wang, Y. Zheng, H. Zhang, D. Liu*, and D. Fu*. 2013. Stripe rust resistance in Aegilops tauschii germplasm. Crop Science 53: 2014-2020.
- Yuan, C., H. Jiang, H. Wang, K. Li, H. Tang, X. Li, and D. Fu*. 2012. Distribution, frequency and variation of stripe rust resistance loci Yr10, Lr34/Yr18 and Yr36 in Chinese wheat cultivars. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 39: 587-592.
- Fu, D., C. Uauy, A. Distelfeld, A. Blechl, L. Epstein, X. Chen, H. Sela, T. Fahima, and J. Dubcovsky*. 2009. A Kinase-START gene confers temperature-dependent resistance to wheat stripe rust. Science 323: 1357-1360.
- State council expert for special allowance, China, 2012
- WuSi medal, Shandong Government, China, 2010
- Award for excellence in postdoctoral research, UCDavis, 2007
- DiAo scholarship, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 1999