Research Associate Professor
Ag Biotech, Room 311
Animal and Veterinary Science
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2330
Moscow, ID 83844-2330
Murdoch’s research focuses on characterizing the relationship between genetic variation in mammals and traits which are valued and important to society. She exploits a number of molecular and genetic tools to further improve our understanding of how these variations affect biological processes of both undesirable and desirable phenotypic traits.
Ph.D., University of Alberta
B.Sc., University of Alberta
- Livestock genomics
- Genetic improvement
- Genetic markers
- Gene and quantitative trait mapping
- Genome wide association studies
- K.C. Chapalamadugu, B.M. Murdoch, B.D. Robison, R.A. Hill, and G.K. Murdoch Oncorhynchus mykiss pax7 sequence variations with comparative analyses against other teleost species. (2015) SpringerPlus, 4:263. doi:10.1186/s40064-015-1030-7.
- Murdoch B, Owen N, Stevense M, Smith H, Nagaoka S, Hassold T, McKay M, Xu H, Fu J, Revenkova E, Jessberger R, Hunt P. Altered cohesin gene dosage affects mammalian meiotic chromosome structure and behavior. PLoS Genet (2013) 9(2): e1003241.
- Hunt PA, Lawson C, Gieske M, Murdoch B, Smith H, Marre A, Hassold T, VandeVoort CA. Bisphenol A alters early oogenesis and follicle formation in the fetal ovary of the rhesus monkey. Proc Natl Acad Sci (2012) Oct 23: 109 (43): 17525-30.
- Murdoch BM, Murdoch GK, Settles M, McKay S, Williams JL, Moore SS. Genome-wide scan identifies loci associated with classical BSE occurrence. PLoS One (2011) 6(11): e26819.
- Murdoch B, Owen N, Shirley S, Crumb S, Broman KW, Hassold T. Multiple loci contribute to genome-wide recombination levels in male mice. Mamm Genome (2010) Dec 21 (11-12): 550-555.
- Murdoch BM, Clawson ML, Yue S, Basu U, McKay S, Settles M, Capoferri R, Laegreid WW, Williams JL, Moore SS. PRNP haplotype associated with classical BSE incidence in European Holstein cattle. PLoS One (2010) Sept 16: 5(9).
- Kolbehdari D, Wang Z, Grant JR, Murdoch B, Prasad A, Xiu Z, Marques E, Stothard P, Moore SS. A whole genome scan to map QTL for milk production traits and somatic cell score in Canadian Holstein bulls. J Anim Breed Genet (2009) Jun 126(3): 216-227.
- Bovine HapMap Consortium. Genome-wide survey of SNP variation uncovers the genetic structure of cattle breeds. Science (2009) Apr 24 324(5926): 528-532.
- Sherman EL, Nkrumah JD, Li C, Bartusiak R, Murdoch BM, Moore SS. Fine mapping quantitative trait loci for feed intake and feed efficiency in beef cattle. J Anim Sci (2009) Jan 87(1): 37-45.
- Prasad A, Schnabel RD, McKay SD, Murdoch B, Stothard P, Kolbehdari D, Wang Z, Taylor JF, Moore SS. Linkage disequilibrium and signatures of selection on chromosomes 19 and 29 in beef and dairy cattle. Anim Genet (2008) Dec 39(6): 597-605.
- McKay SD, Schnabel RD, Murdoch BM, Matukumalli LK, Aerts J, Coppieters W, Crews D, Dias Neto E, Gill CA, Gao C, Mannen H, Wang Z, Van Tassell CP, Williams JL, Taylor JF, Moore SS. An assessment of population structure in eight breeds of cattle using a whole genome SNP panel. BMC Genet (2008) May 20 9: 37.
- Nkrumah JD, Sherman EL, Li C, Marques E, Crews DH Jr, Bartusiak R, Murdoch B, Wang Z, Basarab JA, Moore SS. Primary genome scan to identify putative quantitative trait loci for feedlot growth rate, feed intake, and feed efficiency of beef cattle. J Anim Sci (2007) Dec 85(12): 3170-3181.
- International Bovine BAC Mapping Consortium. A physical map of the bovine genome. Genome Biol (2007) 8(8): R165.
- McKay SD, Schnabel RD, Murdoch BM, Aerts J, Gill CA, Gao C, Li C, Matukumalli LK, Stothard P, Wang Z, Van Tassell CP, Williams JL, Taylor JF, Moore SS. Construction of bovine whole-genome radiation hybrid and linkage maps using high-throughput genotyping. Anim Genet (2007) Apr 38(2): 120-125.
- International Young Researcher nominee, Alberta Prion Research Institute, 2013
- Outstanding Achievement, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health and Taylor & Francis Group, PrPCANADA. Ottawa, Ontario, 2010
- PrioNet Highly Qualified Personnel Award, Prion 2009, 2009 Porto Carras, Chalkidiki, Greece, 2009
- Awarded distinction of “Unanimously exemplary performance” with regards to Ph.D. Comprehensive Candidacy examination, 2009
- Highly Qualified Personnel, Baden Meeting in Montreal, 2008
- Highly Qualified Personnel, PrPCanada "Exploring New Terrain" Calgary, AB, Canada, 2007
- Outstanding Contribution to Science. University of Alberta, 2006
- Mary Louise Imrie Scientific Award University of Alberta, International Scientific Communication, 2006