College of Art and Architecture
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2451
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2451
Hala Barakat, originally from Anabta, Palestine and raised in Amman, Jordan, comes to us from the University of South Florida. Hala received her M.Arch (2016) and MUCD (2019) degrees both from USF. Hala was hired as an assistant professor of architecture and will cover architectural design in her courses. She believes in architecture’s ability to tell stories of civilizations, including narratives about displacement. She resists the use of architecture to serve any political agenda and feels strongly about the creation of a space as an act of advocacy. With her global perspective. Hala aims to use architecture as a catalyst for developing an architectural language understood by all. Hala is interested in spatial advocacy, early design pedagogy and real estate development in Architecture.
- MUCD Master of Urban and Community Design, University of South Florida, 2019
- M.ARCH Master of Architecture, University of South Florida, 2016
- Graduate Thesis Award | O2A| USF + SA + CD Graduate Thesis Prize 2017
- Graduate Thesis Award | The Disease of Hope | USF + SA + CD Graduate Thesis Prize 2017
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award | USF + SA + CD Graduate Teacher Assistant of the year 2017
- Graduate Research Fellowship | International Study | Aberdeen, Scotland
Design class hosted by Aberdeen City Council Led by Professor Josue Robles in collaboration with City of Aberdeen. Produced a Community collaborative urban design, Aberdeen Cultural Center project.
- 1st Place | 3rd KU + USF Workshop 2015 | International study | Japan
Design trip + charrette hosted by Kanagawa University. Led by Professor Stanley Russell in collaboration with professors and students from the University of Kanagawa produced the Yokohama Cultural Center and Performing Arts project.