Fresh Harvest Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 2 cups cooked small white beans - Idaho varietal
- 2 cups cooked Idaho lentils
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 (large, 28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup other fall harvest Idaho vegetables (may use up to 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken stock or half water half stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 - 2” piece of pecorino cheese rind or cheese and 1/3 cup grated pecorino Romano (about 2 ounces)
Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until opaque.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add chopped vegetables, herbs, tomatoes, pecorino piece/rind and 2 cup water or stock.
Cook until potatoes are almost tender.
Add beans, remaining 2 cups of stock, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 1 hour.
Nutritional Value - 1 Cup Serving
Calories-140, Fat - 2 gm, Saturated fat 0.5 gm, Protein - 10 gm, Sodium - 200-400 mg