The chairmanship of all standing committees and other regular assignments are appointed by the incoming University of Idaho Retirees Association president at the December or January meeting and confirmed by the board.
The main responsibility of the University of Idaho Alumni Association representative is to attend Alumni Association board meetings and update board members on the status of UIRA.
Carol Grupp (Chair) and Janice Fletcher
The major responsibility of this committee is to obtain and disseminate among University of Idaho Retirees Association (UIRA) members information relating to services, regulations, laws, legislative activity, insurance benefits and costs, pension fund allocations, and similar items of financial concern to retirees. The UIRA president will recommend one or both co-chairmen for membership on the University of Idaho Health Insurance Advisory Committee. Specific areas of concern include:
- Maintaining close contact with the Risk Management Office at the University, particularly as it relates to retiree health insurance programs;
- Maintaining regular contact with the PERSI office regarding their services, including tracking COLA and fund solvency activities, etc.;
- Maintaining contact, through the University, with activities relative to Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), etc.; and
- Maintaining increased awareness of TIAA, CREF, VALIC, etc., programs, as these programs grow for newer retirees.
Linda Williams (Chair) and Jerry Galloway
The duties related to this assignment have been handled each year by one University of Idaho Retirees Association (UIRA) member. It is the responsibility of that person to learn of members, and/or those of a member's immediate family, who are ill or have passed away, and extend, on behalf of the UIRA, our wishes for a speedy recovery or condolences, as appropriate. For this committee to be effective it will be important for the chairman to communicate regularly with the UIRA board members, training those members to be attentive to the chairman's need for current information. The chairman provides a cumulative list of his/her activities to the UIRA newsletter editor.
Sue Eschen (Chair) and Ed McBride
The Membership Committee works closely with the Alumni Office liaison to:
- Promote membership in collaboration with Publicity and the Public Relations Chairman,
- Obtain names of emeriti (faculty members) from the Provost's Office (Academic Affairs),
- Obtain names of staff retirees from Human Resource Services,
- Send retirees a letter of invitation from the University of Idaho Retirees Association (UIRA) president to include a sample of the retirement brochure and a membership application,
- Prior to the spring luncheon, send a letter of invitation to emeriti faculty and staff who will retire on or before August 31, inviting them to join when available,
- Update the dues notice letter for mailing in early December for the following year,
- Send a second reminder letter for dues in March,
- Assist staff in maintaining up-to-date lists and information on UIRA members, and
- Draft and/or review communications from UIRA to prospective members.
For more information about membership or the Membership Committee, please call the Office of Alumni Relations.
Doug Adams (Chair) and Jerry Galloway
The Scholarship Committee should consist of at least three members of the University of Idaho Retirees Association (UIRA). The committee is responsible for determining the number of awards to be given, and their amounts. The committee will come before the board at the February meeting to present their proposal for the number of award(s) to be given.
Joyce Davidson (Chair), Linda Silva, Joe Cloud and Cathy Lone
The Social & Special Programs Committee is responsible for organizing a series of programs for spring and fall.