This hearty breakfast strata is a surefire Vandal crowd pleaser. The layers of savory leftover stuffing, green bean casserole, and Thanksgiving turkey are perfectly complemented by the black beans, yellow bell pepper, and cheddar cheese, which show off your true black and gold Vandal pride. It’s simple to throw together as you put away your Thanksgiving feast and is sure to awe any overnight guests. Brave and Bold Breakfast Strata will be your new favorite use of those Thanksgiving leftovers, and might even become a new family tradition.
- Alina Mantha and Brit Haas
Yield: 12 portions
Portion: Roughly 3 x 4 inch square
Oven: 350˚ F
Bake: 45 minutes
- Leftover Thanksgiving green bean casserole
- Leftover Thanksgiving turkey, cut into bite size pieces
- Leftover Thanksgiving stuffing
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- French fried onions as desired
- In a medium skillet, sauté yellow bell peppers and onion over medium heat.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish layer 2 inches of leftover dressing, making sure to press the stuffing into the corners of the dish. Layer the leftover green bean casserole over the dressing, followed by a layer of turkey. Spread the black beans over the turkey, followed by the sautéed yellow pepper and onion.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and dry seasonings; once mixed pour over the leftovers in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350˚ F for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese in an even layer over the dish. Sprinkle desired amount of French fried onions over the cheese. Broil the dish until the cheese is just melted and the French fried onions are starting to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.