Check-In and Arrival Checklist
All new international students of any status are required to check-in with the International Programs Office (IPO) by attending New International Student Orientation. Students are required to attend all days of orientation.
Upon arrival be sure to complete all of the items below:
Download a copy of the Arrival Checklist.
1. Check in at your department
- Meet with your major professor/advisor (if you have not yet been assigned one, see your department).
- If you are a graduate student and are a Research (RA) or Teaching Assistant (TA), contact your department and the Student Accounts Office to fill out paperwork and payment methods.
2. Register for Classes
- Find the Class Registration Number (CRN) of the classes your advisor recommended online.
- Register on VandalWeb using the CRN numbers for each of your classes
3. Pay your Student Fees
- Go to the Student Accounts Office in the Bruce M. Pitman Center. If you are not able to pay your fees all at once you can set up a payment plan.
4. Get your student identification card (Vandal Card)
- All students must have a Vandal Card. After you have registered and paid your fees, go to the Vandal Card Office in the Bruce M. Pitman Center, give them your Student ID number (from your admissions information) and ask them to make the card for you. There is no charge for the first card that you request.
5. Establish your email account
- Access your school email at VandalMail. All UI emails from professors, advisors, student accounts, IPO, etc. are through your VandalMail account. You can also forward all of your other email accounts to VandalMail, which makes it easier to check all of your other accounts. If you have any difficulties with your VandalMail account, please go to the Computer Services Help Desk in Room 128 of the Teaching Learning Center (TLC).
6. Make copies of your documents
- IPO will keep copies of your immigration documents, but you should also keep copies for you own personal use. Copy your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94, etc. and put them in a safe place that you will remember. You can make copies of your documents at the Copy Center in the Idaho Commons.
7. Plan to attend the Undergraduate New Student Orientation or the Graduate New Student Orientation
- As a new international student, you are required to attend a Student Orientation.
- Fall Orientation: Held the last four weekdays prior to the first day of classes.
- Spring Orientation: Held the Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday before classes begin.
- Summer Orientation: Students who arrive in the summer must attend the Fall Orientation.