The University of Idaho Swim Center swim lessons are dedicated to teaching swimming skills and water safety. Our program is designed to incorporate every level of swimmer, from infant to pre-competition. Our classes are designed to teach many valuable skills that will work on body position, timing, and fluidity in the water. The swim lessons are designed, managed and taught by University of Idaho Students. A parent or guardian MUST be present for lessons.
- $60 for 8 half-hour lessons
- Offered during the Fall and Spring Semesters and Summer break
- Meet twice a week for 4 weeks
- Classes meet on either Monday and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Each class period is 30 minutes long beginning at either 5:35 or 6:10 p.m.
- Friday is a make up day. For UI Holidays and various other reasons classes will not be able to meet on a regularly scheduled day and we will use Fridays for make up days.
- Private lessons are available at a rate of $35/hour and arranged on an individual basis.
- Contact swim lesson coordinator to schedule your private lesson:
- Email the Swim Center or call (208) 885-7518.
Parking in the gold lot behind the swim center is permitted after 5PM. There is also metered parking along Rayburn Street. In the event that there is limited parking due to a sporting event, there is additional parking behind the Law building which is towards the center of campus. (Right turn out of the swim center parking lot onto Rayburn Street and parking lot is on the North side of the Law Building)
Preparing Your Children for Lessons
- Long hair must be tied back! It is a safety hazard.
- Swim diapers must be used for children who are not potty trained. If a child is wearing a regular diaper, we will have to ask them to leave the pool as the diaper could damage our filter system.
- Goggles are optional, but not recommended for beginners. The student will generally know when they need goggles.
- Please be sure that your swimmer is dressed in appropriate swim wear! Any type of swimsuit is fine, but clothing and swimwear with floatation built in are discouraged.
There are locker rooms in the Memorial Gym and in the Swim Center. Children 6 years of age and older must use the locker room appropriate to their gender! Family changing rooms in the Swim Center will be available for use during lessons.