- Friday April 11, 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Saturday April 12 and Sunday April 13, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Saturday April 26 and Sunday April 27, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Monday April 28 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Registration opens February 28, 2014
Learn to lifeguard! This course teaches the duties and responsibilities of lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies in a professional manner. Certifies participant as an American Red Cross Lifeguard. Includes certifications in CPR for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Automated External Defibrillation, Oxygen Administration, and Bloodborne Pathogens Training.
- Minimum age of 15
- Must swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes in the following order: 100 yards of front crawl stroke, 100 yards of breaststroke and 100 yards of either front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of both. All 300 yards must use rhythmic breathing with your face in the water and a stabilizing, propellant kick.
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a minimum depth of 7 feet, retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to surface, and swim back to starting point with the object in 1 minute and 40 seconds. When returning to the starting point, you must hold the 10 lb. object with both hands and keep your face above water.
Minimum Class Size
A minimum of 6 participants is required to conduct a class.
All participants must download, print and sign this waiver prior to the first class.
Class Refund and Cancellation Policy
Private Lessons must be cancelled with 24 hours notice. Private lesson cancellations will not qualify for a refund or reschedule date when cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Refunds are subject to a $5 administration charge for all refunded private lessons.
Group lessons and Lifeguard Re-certification classes are subject to a $25 refund administration charge if patron cancels or chooses not to participate within 48 hours of the start of the first day of lessons.
Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor classes are subject to a $50 refund administration charge if patron cancels or chooses not to participate within 48 hours of the start of the first day of class.
The University of Idaho Swim Center also reserves the right to cancel a class due to low enrollment or lack of instructor. Participants of the Swim Center cancelled classes will be refunded the full amount of their payment.