The University of Idaho is proud to acknowledge the completion of two recent projects that have greatly improved one of the most unique and iconic sports facilities in the country.
Premium Seating Enhancement
Approved by the Board of Regents of the University of Idaho in June, 2010, this project transformed the Kibbie Dome with enhancements aimed at improving the experience of visitors attending events.
- Relocation and renovation of the press box to improve functionality with upgrades to telecommunications, video, and audio infrastructure.
- Creation of the upper level Bud & June Ford Club Room with food and beverage service, restrooms, and gathering space for premium seat & suite buyers.
- Construction of eight new Premium Suites and a new President’s Suite.
Life Safety and Code Renovations
The Life Safety Upgrades project was self-funded by the University of Idaho through a series of bond finance instruments. The $10-million Phase one was approved by the Board of Regents in December, 2008.
- Replacement of the wood west wall with a new, non-combustible wall structure consisting of steel vertical trusses, metal framing, metal siding, and translucent panels to meet building code requirements, improve energy performance and enhance the lighting of the facility through natural light.
- Addition of field level emergency exits through the south wall along with new handrails at all the seating area stair aisles.
In the summer of 2009, the project received $2-million in additional funding from the State of Idaho Permanent Building Fund to augment the scope of construction work able to be completed as part of Phase 1.
- Addition of nearly 4-acres of fire sprinkler coverage.
- Upgrades to the fire/smoke detection systems
- A new emergency generator
- New air intakes for the smoke exhaust system
- Emergency lighting system upgrades
In February, 2010, the Board of Regents gave approval the $11-million second phase.
- Replacement of the east end wall to match the west wall.
- Completion of a new smoke exhaust system with various upgrades to the fire wall separating the Kibbie Dome from the Vandal Athletic Center.
- Completion of targeted code and life safety improvements