Mission and Vision
Mission of the Women's Center's Advocacy Council
- To support the University of Idaho Women’s Center in fulfilling its mission by:
- Creating a unified voice and presence at the University of Idaho Women’s Center.
- Promoting feminist leadership both at the University of Idaho and in the greater community.
- Upholding and promoting the mission statement of the University of Idaho Women’s Center, which is: “To promote and advocate for gender equity on campus and in the community through programs and services that educate and support all individuals in building an inclusive and compassionate society.” (UI Women’s Center Webpage)
- Providing an opportunity for student feedback regarding the Women’s Center.
- Providing an opportunity for staff, faculty, community, and student interactions.
- Enhancing the Women’s Center’s presence in the Moscow Community.
- Hold fundraising events to support the continuing operating costs and facility needs of the Women’s Center.
- Provide networking opportunities both on campus and within the community.
Structure of the Women’s Center Advocacy Council
Advocacy Council membership will include a minimum of the following from each group, but with a maximum of 20 active Advocacy Council members in any given academic year:
- 2 University of Idaho Faculty/Staff Members
- 3 Community Members
- 3 U of I Students (at least 1 non-traditional student)
- University of Idaho student group representatives (with specific attention to underrepresented groups – see list below)
- The Director of the Women’s Center and one other board-appointed Women's Center staff member
- LGBTQA Office representative
- Athena Organization Liaison
Current Members (2013-2014)
Erin Chapman, faculty member, Family & Consumer Sciences, email@example.com
Victoria Arthur, faculty member, English, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lysa Salsbury, Director, Women's Center, email@example.com
Julia Keleher, Coordinator, LGBTQA Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
3 vacant positions
Maureen Taylor Regan
- Current advocacy council members will strategically identify, given council priorities, specific people to invite to join the council as vacancies arise (in the community and faculty/staff categories). Invitations to join the council will be issued by the convener after discussion by the council.
- Applications will be open to students and student group representatives on a rolling basis. Completed applications will be reviewed by the council and invitations issued by the convener after review.
- Terms begin September 1
- University of Idaho Faculty/Staff: 2 year terms, no term limit
- Undergraduate Students: 1 year terms, 2 term limit
- Campus Group Representatives: 1 year terms, 2 term limit
- The board-appointed Women's Center representative will rotate yearly. The Director of the Women's Center and the LGBTQA Office representative hold permanent positions on the Council.
- 3 Community members: 2 year terms, no term limit
Advocacy Council meetings will:
- Be convened by a member of the Council who is designated as the “convener”
- Occur twice per semester
- Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed at the will of any of the current council members.
Roles and Responsibilities of Council Members
- All members listed above are members of the Full Council and should attend all meetings. Two unexcused absences will result in a vacancy.
- Participation involves coming to the meetings prepared to contribute to the discussion. Input from all members of the Advocacy Council is valued and considered in the consensus decision making process.
Subcommittees of the Advocacy Council will be formed on an as-needed basis. Current committees include:
- LGBTQA Office subcommittee
- Space subcommittee
Apply for Membership
Are you interested in serving as a member of the Women's Center's Advocacy Council for the 2013-2014 academic year? If so, please complete the online application. Council members will review your application and contact you shortly regarding the status of your application.
For more information or if you have any questions about the Advocacy Council, please contact Lysa Salsbury, Women's Center director, at email@example.com or (208) 885-2777.