The University of Idaho will conduct audits of student health insurance waivers to verify the existence of adequate personal health insurance coverage. Students who are discovered to be uninsured or to have insurance that does not meet the minimum requirements will be enrolled in SHIP for the semester of audit to comply with the SBOE policy requiring valid health insurance as a condition of enrollment.
NOTICE REGARDING SHIP WAIVER REQUESTS
SHIP Waiver acceptance is tentative pending completion of the insurance waiver audit. Waiver Policy information is on pages 2 and 3 of the SHIP Brochure and on the SHIP website under Waiver Policy.
Insurance MUST MEET the requirements below to qualify for a waiver:
- Be valid health insurance (cost sharing or medical discount programs DO NOT qualify for a waiver).
- Effective on or before the first day of the semester waiver is requested.
- Continuous and verifiable for the entire semester (no termination or break).
- Cover both illness and injury.
- Have a lifetime maximum of at least $500,000.
- Cover injury while participating in intramural, club, or NCAA intercollegiate sports programs (if student is participating in such programs).
If submitted insurance does not meet the requirements above final acceptance of a SHIP waiver will not be granted. Waiver status notifications are sent to the student’s official Vandal email account. Student will be enrolled in SHIP for each semester of attendance. The charge for medical insurance will be placed on the student account. The Student Financial Aid Office and Student Accounts Office can assist with financial questions and payment arrangements.