Diversity Center Rules and Regulations
The Student Diversity Center is a multi-use professional, academic, and social space that supports positive engagement and constructive dialogue related to diversity, and welcomes students, staff, and faculty who share those principles. As such, the ability to conduct student meetings, study or research, and engage one another positively and respectfully is central to its mission. Students, staff, and faculty alike must do their part to care for the space in a manner that contributes to the goals of a clean, safe and shared facility. In accordance with respect for diversity and our goal of maintaining a welcoming and safe environment, noise levels must be low and any behavior, language or materials (including social media) that create a hostile or harassing environment will be addressed immediately. Below are expectations that include, but are not limited to, actions that help us meet the goals of our community space:
- Designated study hours are for quiet, independent study only. Cell phone conversations, meetings, or informal activities are not permitted during scheduled study hours. Please silence your phones or step into the hall to take a call.
- Students and others are expected to clear their trash and keep personal belongings with them at all times. Storage lockers are available at no cost through the Info Desk; belongings left without attendance will be turned into the Info Desk.
- Bowls, plates and utensils belonging to Sodexo/Dining Services are not permitted in the Center for food safety reasons; any “to-go” boxes or cups must be disposed of appropriately.
- Individuals are expected to clean up after themselves; groups or others using the space should keep the space clean and orderly. Group leadership will be contacted if the space is left in poor condition and usage may be limited or suspended for repeat violations.
- Please return all Center furniture, floor treatments, writing board or other Center property to its original state after usage.
- Sexually explicit materials (including social media) are prohibited in the Center. All students are expected to respect the Center’s commitment to an environment free of sexual harassment of any kind, including but not limited to jokes, profanity, and behavior whether consensual or unwanted that undermines this commitment. Individuals or groups involved in violating this expectation will be asked to leave immediately. They may be suspended or banned from the Center and/or referred to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary action.
- Posters from student groups must be submitted to the Office of Multicultural Affairs and approved prior to being displayed on the SDC bulletin board.
- Reservations of the Student Diversity Center are coordinated through the Office of Multicultural Affairs, please respect those who have the space reserved and do not disrupt meetings or events.
- If you find the space is in poor condition or encounter an unwelcoming environment, please report it to staff and do your part to help us set it right. A staff member will address the responsible individual(s) or group, but only if we are made aware. Your anonymity will be maintained.
Students, groups or others using the space are expected to comply with staff intervention and guidance. Repeated violations of these expectations will result in the loss of use of the Center. Violations that disrupt academic or programmatic activities, or those that violate the Student Code of Conduct, may result in disciplinary action and/or a permanent ban on Center use.