Pi Beta Phi
Nationally Founded: April 28, 1867 Monmouth, Illinois Founded at UI: February 28, 1923
Colors: Wine and Silver Blue
Flower: Wine Carnation
Number of chapters nationally: 133
National headquarters location: St. Louis, Missouri
Visit the local website
Visit the national website
- Sisterhood is a very important part of life at Pi Beta Phi. At least once a month we take time out of our hectic schedules and plan interactive sisterhoods that all members attend. It is a great way for us to come together and share fun experiences and forget about some of the outside stress that comes along with being a college student. Some of our sisterhoods include pledge class skits, remaking music videos, and pedicures/facials. Some of our more traditional sisterhoods include Halloween pumpkin carving, Christmas cookie decorating, and making Valentine’s Day cards. A more informal approach to our sisterhoods includes group dinners in Moscow and, of course, Monday night Gossip Girl marathons.
- Big Sis/ Lil Sis: We also have a Big Sis/ Lil Sis program that helps new members transition into college life at the University and also allows for new members to have a mentor during their years as a sorority woman. Our Big Sis/ Lil Sis program is a tradition that makes the bond of Pi Phi’s strong for generations. We believe in sisterhood and the important friendships that are created during these years of our lives. “When our wings give out, we help each other fly…"
Academics are an important part of our chapter. We acknowledge that part of shaping a well rounded woman comes from success in academics. We strive to provide an environment where women can focus and work hard to achieve academic excellence. We have a number of programs to help our women succeed.
- Study table: Study Table is a program that allows for a quiet place to study each day. There are multiple locations and times where study table is held to fit the needs and schedules of every woman.
- Tutoring: Pi Beta Phi provides a group tutoring program for the women in our home to be tutored on difficult subjects. If a member needs a “one on one” tutor, we set up tutoring times for that woman also.
- Smarty Pants: One of our award programs is Smarty Pants. This is a program that recognizes those women who have maintained a 4.0 for each semester. Every woman who accomplishes this goal is recognized by the chapter and receives a pair of Pi Beta Phi Smarty Pants.
- Study Blanket: The Pi Beta Phi study blanket is a tradition that has continued for many years. Every week a woman is recognized by the chapter for studying and keeping up on her school work and grades. Each woman who receives the study blanket gets to keep the blanket and also sign a square patch. This blanket has signatures from alumni and woman who are currently in our chapter.
- Scholarship Dinner: Pi Beta Phi hosts a scholarship dinner once a semester to recognize the women in our chapter who have maintained grades above a 3.0. These women receive awards for their strong academics.
- Professor Dinner: Professor Dinners are an event that Pi Phi’s host and invite their favorite professors to a special dinner. This is a tradition that allows women to gain a personal relationship with their professors.
Philanthropy is an important aspect of Pi Beta Phi. Our mission is to improve literacy in children through education, awareness and support. We make it a point to be interactive in our local community as well as organizing fundraising activities for our partner charity First Book.
- First Book: First Book provides underprivileged children with their first new books. We also make yearly contributions to the Pi Beta Phi Foundation which raises money to award excelling Pi Phi members with scholarships each year.
- Champions Are Readers: (CAR) is a yearly program that we do with a local elementary school. We pair up with a third grade classroom and challenge each student to read thirty minutes every single night for one month. We work closely with the students and hold a ceremony at the end of the month where we invite parents and award the children with cake, medals of achievement, a certificate, and a brand new book to encourage them to continue reading.
- Arrow Spike: Arrow Spike is an annual volleyball competition we hold for the Greek community. It is highly competitive as Greek men and women hit the sand to win the championship game. The members of Pi Beta Phi serve as coaches and referees. It is a fun way to raise money for literacy!
- Charity Denim: Charity Denim is another annual event we hold in the chapter house to raise money for the Foundation. We partner with a company that brings in designer denim jeans to be sold at half price. We open our doors to the Moscow community, creating a welcoming shopping environment for a great cause.
Pi Beta Phi is involved in many social events on campus during the school year.
- Dances: We have an Initiation Dance to celebrate our newest initiates. Our Spring semi-formal dance is Beaus and Arrows where we get to dress up in formal wear along with our dates.
- Date Dinners: We host two date dinners every year. We host a Halloween date dinner where all members and their dates dress up in Halloween costumes. Our Valentine date dinner is a formal date dinner where members get to invite dates to enjoy a three course meal.
- Exchanges: We have many exchanges throughout the year including, ice cream socials, BBQ’s, progressive dinners, speed dating and ornament decorating. This is a great way to meet tons of people from all over campus.
- Etiquette Dinners: Every year our house mother hosts two Etiquette Dinners to teach the members of our chapter proper etiquette rules.
- Intramurals: Intramurals is a large part of life at Pi Beta Phi. We participate in many different Intramurals, including soccer, volleyball, basketball, dodge ball, Frisbee and more.
- Athletics: UI Athletics are very important to Pi Beta Phi. We all go together as a house to support the various UI athletic events. For the last two years we have had members on the Track and Cheerleading teams and we always love to support our members at their events! We also have t-shirts made every year along with posters and signs to support the Vandals during their games!
- At our bi-annual national convention we received the 2007 Pi Beta Phi Excellence in Sisterhood.
- One of our members was the recipient of the Pi Beta Phi International Scholarship
- Four of our freshman members received Freshman of the Year for the 2008-2009 school year.
- For the past 10 years we have placed 1st during Sigma Chi’s Derby Days
- We placed 4th for UI’s 2010 Greek Week
- Many of our members have been honored as students and individuals on the University of Idaho Dean’s List