Kappa Kappa Gamma
Nationally Founded: October 13, 1870 Monmouth, Illinois
Founded at UI: February 26, 1916
Colors: Light and Dark Blue
Flower: Fleur d'lis
Number of chapters nationally: 131
National headquraters location: Columbus, OH
Visit the national website
Visit the local website
- Kappa Nights: Nights reserved once a month in which all members of the chapter get together for an activity, program, guest speaker. Usually consists of chapter education, campus safety, or any sister bonding activities.
- Kore Families: This is a program we have as a support system for our members. New members are paired with an upper classmen to serve as their mentor, friend, and support. These then form into families with each generation of pledge classes. Kore Families, eat Monday night dinners together, participate in house activities together, and throughout the years develop special bonds with each other, even outside the chapter activities.
- Scholarship Banquets: We hold one each semester to congratulate members for their academics, celebrate our achievements, and recognize everyone for their hard work. Professor Dinners: Each semester each member invites a professor to be their guest for dinner.
- Key Club: Awarded to members who have received 8 A's on tests, papers, or projects in a single semester.
- Century Club: Awarded to members who attend 100 classes in a row in one semester.
- Scholarship Key: Is awarded to different member each week to recognize them for efforts they make academically.
- Scholarship badge: A golden key that is worn by the one person each semester that is voted as encompassing high academic standards and efforts.
- Professor’s Dinner: Every semester we invite our professors over for dinner and a house tour to introduce ourselves and get to know them a bit better.
Philanthropic/Community Service Projects:
- Kappa Car Wash: In the early fall, we conduct a car wash inwhich all the proceeds to towards our National philanthropy, the Rose McGill Fund, which provides financial assistance to Kappas in need.
- Kappas Konnect: This is a new fall philanthropy, in which we spend one Saturday morning spreading our services across the community. We help with several organizations at once, including Moscow Humane Society, a local nursing home, painting houses, and much more.
- Kappa Kappa Gamma's Key for the Cure: This is a wonderful 5K run/walk that takes place during Mom's Weekend. The money is then donated to the Susan B. Komen Foundation to benefit breast cancer research.
- Reading is Fun Book Drive: During the spring semester we collect donations of children's books at various businesses around the community. After receiving the books, we visit the local elementary schools and read to the children.
- Kappa Krush: Held every fall, we set up our roommate and fellow sisters on a casual T-shirt dance.
- Sapphire Ball: We serenade and invite dates to join us for dinner and dancing at the Best Western University Inn, in December.
- Big Chill: We design fun sweatshirts and invite dates to a winter dance in January.
- Spring Fling: As our final dance of the year we invite friends and dates to a big T-shirt dance.
- Date Dinners: Held twice a year, before Christmas and Valentine ’s Day, we get dressed up with our dates and have dinner together at the house.
- Exchanges: We have several exchanges throughout the year, including BBQ’s, dinners, ice cream socials, and many more events with other fraternities and sororities.
Awards and Honors (campus & national):
- We received the Richard D. Gibb Chapter of Excellence Award for the year of 2009, the most prestigious award given by Panhellenic to one fraternity and sorority that exemplifies; scholarship, social service, membership, campus participation, alumni relations, chapter management, pledge education, inter/national relations and university relations.
- Also, at the 2010, Panhellenic Award Ceremony, Kappa Kappa Gamma received awards for Outstanding Risk Management, and Excellence in Scholarship.
- Kappa Kappa Gamma has been the top house in grades for the past four consecutive semesters.
- Our advisor, Patti Perry received Outstanding Sorority Advisor for 2010.
- We obtained second place in the 2010 Greek Sustainability Competition for conserving energy and recycling.
- At this year’s bi-annual national convention Kappa Kappa Gamma received honorable mentions for Excellence in Technology, and Academic Excellence.