Founded at UI: June 12, 1928
Colors: Silver and Bordeaux
Flower: Lilly of the Valley; Forget me Not; and Ivy
Mascot: Phi Bear
Motto: Union Hand in Hand
Number of chapter nationally: 157
National headquarters location: Evanston, Illinois
Visit the local Website
Visit the national Website
We seek the highest ideal of womanhood and we try to gain this ideal by cultivating not only the power and passion for seeking intellectual development but, also, the spirit of love and charity. Through your common commitment to the ideals of Alpha Phi, you will find a home full of friends waiting to be made.
- All House Retreat - Our whole chapter leaves for a night filled with eating junk food, watching movies and spending a lot of time laughing!
- Firesides - When Alpha Phi sisters get engaged or we just need to talk, we all gather for a fireside.
- Big Sis/Lil Sis - Our Big Sis/Lil Sis program helps new members get to know older members and become familiarized with Alpha Phi, the campus and the University. Once a member receives a Big Sis, they become part of an Alpha Phi family that can be traced back many years – Alumna family members love to visit and meet their new family!
- Senior Week - We dedicate a week to honoring our senior members that includes surprises, a Greek family dinner, and a special ceremony dedicated to them!
- Movies, games, TV, supporting Vandal Athletics, intramurals, going to the Recreation Center, shopping, laughing, fun.
We recognize the common cause we are all at college - to get an education and be involved in campus life. At Alpha Phi, we strive to create an environment that will help our members succeed academically, and in life. We encourage our members to be involved with other activities outside of our chapter. We also provide a program to promote the highest academic achievement.
- Study Table - We have a study program for all new members in order to guide them through the college transition period and get them started on the right foot.
- Professor Files and Test Files - Our members review professors at the end of every semester so a new member can know what types of expectations and style a professor has and we save old tests to aid in studying.
- Scholarship Awards - We reward our members weekly for studying, getting good grades and learning.
- Professor Dinner - We invite professors over for dinner once a semester so we can get to know them better and enjoy their company at Formal Dinner.
- 3.75 & Above - If a member receives above a 3.75 GPA for the semester, they are given a pair of “smarty pants” that are newly designed every semester. Recently, we had sweatpants given to members that read, “Beauty & Brains” down the side.
Philanthropic/Community Service Projects:
- Philanthropy – Every February we hold a Cardiac Care week, raising awareness about heart disease and have members of the community participate in a Poker Tournament where Alpha Phis all wear red dresses. Go red!
- Adopt A Highway - We caravan to our section of highway just outside Moscow each semester to clean it up!
- Pumpkin Craving - Each Halloween, our chapter invites a first grade class to come and carve pumpkins and trick or treat at our house.
- Philanthropies of Other Fraternities and Sororities - We show our support for the Greek system at UI by supporting other's causes. This past year, we’ve won numerous other chapters’ philanthropy compeittions.
- Dances - We have Initiation Dance, our Christmas formal called Silver and Bordeaux, our Spring semi-formal Beau Ball and a Triad Dance with Alpha Gamma Delta and Gamma Phi Beta.
- Intramurals - There is a team for every sport you would want to play at UI!
- Serenading - We invite fraternity men to our dances by going as a chapter to sing to them (they even show up at our house sometimes to sing to us for events)!
- Tie Exchanges - Fraternity men bring over a box of ties, Alpha Phi members pick a tie thus picking their date for the event.
- Bowling, Softball Tournaments, Ice Skating, Sledding are just a few of the great social activities we schedule with fraternities
Awards and Honors (campus and national):
We recently won two big awards at our 2010 Regional Convention in Los Angeles. We received Outstanding Commitment to Facility and Outstanding Philanthropy Event. The awards were tremendous honors
and we look forward to winning more awards both nationally and on campus in the coming year. We also won various championships in our intramural divisions as well as the championship in the Kappa Sigma Flag Football Philanthropy!