Alpha Gamma Delta
Nationally Founded: May 30, 1904 Syracuse University
Founded at UI: April 26, 1958
Colors: Red, Buff, and Green
Flowers: Red Buff and Yellow Roses
Motto: Inspire the Woman, Impact the World
Number of chapters nationally: 180 Chapters
National headquarters location: Indianapolis, IN
Visit the local website.
Visit the national website.
- Raft Trip:Every year we kick off with an overnight camping and rafting trip in Riggins Idaho.
- Sisterhoods:We have weekly sisterhoods which include movie nights, various craft making, games, outdoor activities, making cookies/treats, and other fun activities! Many of the women create their own sisterhood activities by going shopping, coffee dates, study groups within the house and taking weekend trips to see concerts, shows, or to go shopping!
- Sis-mom/Sis-kid Program : In our home we have a sister-mother/sister-daughter program which allows our new members to have an older member to mentor, support, and be there for them while they are in college. The mom-kid relationship builds strong bonds of friendship and allows for a real sense of family in the house.
- Deltas: Delta is an older member in the house that a new member picks to be a mentor. Much like the sister-mother, the delta is a friend that the new member can go to for whatever she may need.
- Initiation week: Our Initiation Week is the most special time of the year when are new members finally find out the true meaning of Alpha Gamma Delta. The week is filled with sisterhoods, ceremonies, and special time for the sis-mom/sis-kid families in the house.
- Polish week: The week before recruitment is spent teaching the ladies of the house how to properly put on formal recruitment. Much of the time during polish week is spent reuniting with sisters that we have not seen all summer, this includes many sisterhood activities, and quality time spent together.
- Senior Week: Senior week is the time of year when we take time to honor our graduating seniors. There are many sisterhood activities including wills and prophecies where the seniors “will” down things valuable to them to younger members in the house.
- Sisterhood Retreat: Retreat is the time of year where the whole house gets together and goes on an overnight trip, it normally takes place in the second semester of the school year. There are team-building and sisterhood activities along with a night of food, movies, stories, laughter, and of course, FUN!
- Scholarship dinners:and awards are given and presented each semester. Members can receive pearl dangles for their badges for receiving a 3.5. There are also many other smaller prizes and awards given to acknowledge members of their dedication to scholarship.
- Strive for pi dinner - Every semester the ladies with a GPA of 3.14 or above are treated to a special dinner at a local restaurant.
- Acorn tree : The Acorn Tree works at the “mom’s fridge” in the house. Whenever women get an “A” on a paper or test, they are encouraged to pin it up on the Acorn Tree. The woman to put up the most “A’s” at the end of the semester receives a prize.
- Study table: Study table takes place every evening and girls are encouraged to go work on homework and projects with other members of the house.
Philanthropic/Community Service Projects:
- Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation
- Alpha Gam Dodgeball Slam
- Alpha Gamma Delta Mr. Idaho pagent
- Relay for Life
- Homecoming food drive
- Alternative Service Break
- Saturday of Service
- Relay for Life
- Fraternity Philanthropies- Delta Chi’s bowling for breast cancer, Sigma Chi Derby Days, Beta Theta Pi’s Powder Puff
- Football, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Olympics, Phi Delta Theta Turtle Derby.
- Jewel chapter- we raised over $2,000 for the AGD foundation and are nationally recognized!
- Triad: annual date dance with the women of Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi Beta
- Barnyard Bash: social with the men of Farmhouse
- Rose Formal: our formal dinner and date dance every year at the Best Western Hotel
- Movie Nights: as sisterhoods and socials with other Greek houses
- Fraternity Socials: dinners, dances, movie nights, game nights, etc.
- BBQ & Marshmallow roasts: in our own backyard with the firepit
- Date Dash: get a random date from a fraternity for dinner or game night at the house
- Feast of Roses: a brunch with alumnae to honor outstanding members and alumni
- International Reunion Day: alumni come back to celebrate the Alpha Gamma Delta organization
- Campus Activities: SARB (student-alumni relations board), band, advertising club, homecoming committee, panhellenic, greek week committee, ASUI, honors society, alternative service break, on-campus jobs, etc.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Campus Involvement - 2011, 2012
- Outstanding Chapter Collaboration - 2012
- Outstanding House Association - 2012
- 3rd Place Greek Week - 2012
- 2nd Place Greek Week - 2011
- 1st Place Greek Week - 2010
- Outstanding Officer - 2012 (Molly Loucks)
- New Member of the Year - 2012 (Elise Moote)
- Junior of the Year - 2012 (Molly Loucks)
- Jewel Chapter (for donating $2,000 or more to our national Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation through our philanthropies) - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- ASUI Student Achievement Awards
- Outstanding Freshmen - 2010 (Molly Loucks), 2011 (Nicole Stine)
- Outstanding Sophomore - 2011 (Molly Loucks), 2012 (Audra Borden)
- Outstanding Junior - 2011 (Tayler Marshall), 2012 (Molly Loucks)
- Outstanding Senior - 2012 (Tayler Marshall)
- Outstanding Alumni Relations-2008
- Greek Week-2008
We are privileged to have our sisters be members in such Honors societies as:
- The Order of Omega: Greek Honor society
- Sigma Alpha Iota: Music Honor society
- Phi Eta Sigma: Freshmen Honor society
- Phi Omicron: FCS Honor society
- NSCS: National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Golden Key: Academic Honor Society
- Psi Chi: Psychology Honor Society
- NCSC: National Honor Society
- Tau Beta Pi: Engineering Honor Society