Stephen Sauchi Lee, Ph.D.
Campus Locations: Moscow
Ph.D., Statistics, December 1991, Florida State University
M.S., Statistics, August 1989, Florida State University
M.A., Mathematics, August 1987, University of West Florida
Certificate of Education, August 1983, University of Hong Kong
B.S., Mathematics, May 1981, University of Hong Kong
Dr. Stephen Sauchi Lee received a Ph.D. in Statistics from Florida State University, a M.A. in Mathematics from the University of West Florida, and a B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Hong Kong. He joined the Department of Statistics at the University of Idaho in 1993. He is a tenured Associate Professor of Statistics since 1999. He teaches a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate level statistics courses. His research interests are in Multivariate Analysis, Computational Methods, Classification, and Statistical Modeling. They include: Integrating models and methods from statistics, neural networks, machine learning, and data mining communities to discover relationships and recognize patterns in databases; modeling for interpretation and forecasting; extracting information and patterns; developing computational algorithms to increase efficiency and prediction accuracy; applying in Bioinformatics and Genomics.
- Stephen Lee and Zhaofei Fan. Effect of spatial scale on modeling and predicting mean cavity tree density: a comparison of modeling methods. Open Journal of Forestry, 2012. DOI: 10.4236/ojf.2012
- Mary Q. Yang, Karina Laflamme, Valer Gotea, Clinton H. Joiner, Nancy E. Seidel, Clara Wong, Hanna M. Petrykowska, Jens Lichtenberg, Stephen Lee, Lonnie Welch, Patrick G. Gallagher, David M. Bodine, and Laura Elnitski. Genome-wide detection of a TFIID localization element from an initial human disease mutation. Nucleic Acids Research, March 1, 2011 vol. 39 no. 6, 2175-2187.
- Melanie-Angela Neuilly, Kristen M. Zgoba, George E. Tita, Stephen Lee. Predicting Recidivism in Homicide Offenders Using Classification Tree Analysis. Homicide Studies. 15(2), 2011, pp 154-176.
- Jens Lichtenberg, Kyle Kurz, Xiaoyu Liang, Rami Al-ouran, Lev Neiman, Lee J Nau, Joshua D Welch, Edwin Jacox, Thomas Bitterman, Klaus Ecker, Laura Elnitski, Frank Drews, Stephen Lee, Lonnie R Welch. WordSeeker: Concurrent bioinformatics software for discovering genome-wide patterns and word-based genomic signatures. BMC Bioinformatics 2010, 11(Suppl 12):S6.
- James R. Conrad, Jim Alves-Foss, Stephen Lee. Analyzing Uncertainty in Take-Grant Protection Graphs with TG/MC. Journal of Computer Security, Vol 18, Issue 5, 2010, pp.667-698.
- Frank Drews, Klaus Ecker, Stephen Lee, Laura Elnitski, Lonnie R Welch. Word-based Characterization of Promoters Involved in Human DNA Repair Pathways. BMC Genomics 2009, 10(Suppl 1):S18.
- Jens Lichtenberg, Alper Yilmaz, Joshua D Welch, Kyle Kurz, Xiaoyu Liang, Frank Drews, Klaus Ecker, Stephen Lee, Erich Grotewold, Lonnie R Welch. The Word Landscape of the non-coding segments of the Arabidopsis thaliana Genome. BMC Genomics. 2009, 10: 463.
- Christina L. Airhart, Harold N. Rohde, Gregory A. Bohach, Carolyn J. Hovde, Claudia F. Deobald, Stephen Lee, Scott A. Minnich. Induction of Innate Immunity by Lipid A Mimetics Increases Survival from Pneumonic Plague. Microbiology 2008, 154, 2131–2138.
- Christina L. Airhart, Harold N. Rohde, Carolyn J. Hovde, Gregory A. Bohach, Claudia F. Deobald, Stephen Lee, Scott A. Minnich. Lipid A Mimetics are Potent Adjuvants for an Intranasal Pneumonic Plague Vaccine. Journal of Vaccine. 2008, Oct 16; 26(44):5554-61.
- Stephen Lee. Seeking Significant Oligomers via Set Partitions Expected Count. International Journal of Computational Science, 2008, Vol. 2, No. 5, 584-598.
- Zhaofei Fan, Stephen Lee, Stephen R. Shifley, Frank R Thompson III, and David R. Larsen. Simulating the effect of landscape size and age structure on cavity tree density using a resampling technique. Forest Science, Number 5, October 2004, pp. 603-609.
- Stephen Lee. On improving the binary classification accuracy of quadratic discriminant. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 2002,Volume 72, Issue 1, 2002, 1-31
- Stephen Lee. Noisy replication in skewed binary classification. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 34, 2000, 165-191.
- Stephen Lee. Regularization in skewed binary classification. Computational Statistics, 1999, 14, 277-292.
- Williams, C., Stephen Lee, Fisher, R., and Dickerman, L. A comparison of statistical methods for prenatal screening for Down syndrome. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 1999, Vol 15, Issue 2, 89-101.
- Stephen Lee. Regularized tree methods for skewed binary classification. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation. Volume 61, Issue 4, 1998, 287-312.
- Stephen Lee. Regularized quadratic discriminant methods for skewed binary classification. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol 60, Issue 2, 1998, 176-180.
- Stephen Lee. Combining models to improve classification rates. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 1996, 160-164.
- Stephen Lee. On a class of nonlinear time series for biological population abundance data. Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis, 1996, Vol 12, 193-207.
- Chenoweth, T., Obradovic, Z. and Stephen Lee. Embedding Technical Analysis into Neural Network Based Trading Systems. Applied Artificial Intelligence, vol 10, no. 3, 1996, 523-541.
- Modeling and predicting mean cavity tree density
- Multivariate statistical approaches to determining the geographic origin of food commodities
- Binary (T/F) classification
- Potato growth origin prediction
- Down syndrome screening
- Biological population abundance modeling
- Ozone prediction
- Financial market forecasting
- Models integration
- Apple Polisher Certificate of Appreciation, University of Idaho Student Alumni Relations Board, March 2007
- Certificate of Appreciation, Mathematics and Science Enrichment Outreach Program, Virginia State University, 1992
- First-Year Student Best-in-Theory Award, Department of Statistics, Florida State University, 1988
- United States Collegiate Mathematics Award, 1988
- Scholastic All-American Collegiate Award, 1988
- Member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 1988