Ruprecht Machleidt, Ph.D.
Department of Physics
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 1988
Ph.D., University of Bonn (Germany), Physics
M.S., University of Bonn (Germany), Physics
Theoretical nuclear physics
Theory of nuclear forces
Chiral effective field theory for low-energy QCD
Meson-exchange theories for nuclear interactions
Nucleon-nucleon scattering at high energy
Theory of nuclear matter with sub-nuclear degrees of freedom and relativity
Relativistic few-nucleon physics
- Acting Chair, Department of Physics, University of Idaho, 2003-2006.
- Professor of Physics, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1991-present.
- Associate Professor of Physics, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1988-91.
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Physics, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, California, 1986-88.
- Visiting Research Physicist, Los Alamos Meson-Physics Facility (LAMPF), Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, 1986-88.
- Visiting faculty member, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI, "Virginia Tech"), Blacksburg, Virginia, Fall 1985.
- Visiting Senior Scientist, TRIUMF, Canada's National Meson-Physics Facility, Vancouver, Canada, 1983-85.
- Wissenschaftlicher Assistent (≈assistant professor/research associate), Institute for Theoretical Nuclear Physics, University of Bonn, Germany, until 1983.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Nuclear Theory Group, University of Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York (two-year fellowship by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft).
- The Bonn meson-exchange model for the nucleon-nucleon interaction, R. Machleidt, K. Holinde, and Ch. Elster, Physics Reports, Vol. 149, pp. 1-89 (1987) [2614 citations according to Google Scholar].
- The meson theory of nuclear forces and nuclear structure, R. Machleidt, Advances in Nucl. Phys., Vol. 19, Chapter 2, pp. 189-376 (1989) [1555 citations].
- The Dirac-Brueckner approach to nuclear matter: R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physics Letters B 149, 283 (1984) [235 citations]; R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 42, 1965 (1990) [633 citations].
- High-precision NN potentials ("CD-Bonn"): R. Machleidt, F. Sammarruca, and Y. Song, Physical Review C 53, 1483 (1996) [710 citations]; R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 63, 024001 (2001) [1123 citations].
- Chiral effective field theory and nuclear forces: D. R. Entem and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 68, 041001 (2003) [627 citations]; R. Machleidt and D. R. Entem, Physics Reports 503, 1 (2011) [121 citations].
- Total of 136 publications in refereed journals plus 150 conference contributions; 11,754 citations and h-index of 41 according to Google Scholar.
- Vandal Pride Award, University of Idaho, 2002.
- University of Idaho Faculty Award for Research Excellence, 2001.
- Fellow, American Physical Society, since 2000.
- Distinguished Faculty Member, University of Idaho Chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, University of Idaho Alumni Association, 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Navy ROTC, University of Idaho, 1998.
- Affiliate, Institute for Nuclear Theory (INT), University of Washington,Seattle, Washington.
- Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1983-85.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1976-77.