Ruprecht Machleidt, Ph.D.
College of Science
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Physics
With UI Since 1988
Ph.D., University of Bonn (Germany), Physics
M.S., University of Bonn (Germany), Physics
Theoretical nuclear physics
Theory of nuclear forces
Chiral effective field theory for low-energy QCD
Meson-exchange theories for nuclear interactions
Nucleon-nucleon scattering at high energy
Theory of nuclear matter with sub-nuclear degrees of freedom and relativity
Relativistic few-nucleon physics
- Acting Chair, Department of Physics, University of Idaho, 2003-2006.
- Professor of Physics, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1991-present.
- Associate Professor of Physics, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1988-91.
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Physics, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, California, 1986-88.
- Visiting Research Physicist, Los Alamos Meson-Physics Facility (LAMPF), Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, 1986-88.
- Visiting faculty member, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI, "Virginia Tech"), Blacksburg, Virginia, Fall 1985.
- Visiting Senior Scientist, TRIUMF, Canada's National Meson-Physics Facility, Vancouver, Canada, 1983-85.
- Wissenschaftlicher Assistent (≈assistant professor/research associate), Institute for Theoretical Nuclear Physics, University of Bonn, Germany, until 1983.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Nuclear Theory Group, University of Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York (two-year fellowship by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft).
- The Bonn meson-exchange model for the nucleon-nucleon interaction, R. Machleidt, K. Holinde, and Ch. Elster, Physics Reports, Vol. 149, pp. 1-89 (1987) [2614 citations according to Google Scholar].
- The meson theory of nuclear forces and nuclear structure, R. Machleidt, Advances in Nucl. Phys., Vol. 19, Chapter 2, pp. 189-376 (1989) [1555 citations].
- The Dirac-Brueckner approach to nuclear matter: R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physics Letters B 149, 283 (1984) [235 citations]; R. Brockmann and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 42, 1965 (1990) [633 citations].
- High-precision NN potentials ("CD-Bonn"): R. Machleidt, F. Sammarruca, and Y. Song, Physical Review C 53, 1483 (1996) [710 citations]; R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 63, 024001 (2001) [1123 citations].
- Chiral effective field theory and nuclear forces: D. R. Entem and R. Machleidt, Physical Review C 68, 041001 (2003) [627 citations]; R. Machleidt and D. R. Entem, Physics Reports 503, 1 (2011) [121 citations].
- Total of 136 publications in refereed journals plus 150 conference contributions; 11,754 citations and h-index of 41 according to Google Scholar.
- Vandal Pride Award, University of Idaho, 2002.
- University of Idaho Faculty Award for Research Excellence, 2001.
- Fellow, American Physical Society, since 2000.
- Distinguished Faculty Member, University of Idaho Chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, University of Idaho Alumni Association, 2000.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Navy ROTC, University of Idaho, 1998.
- Affiliate, Institute for Nuclear Theory (INT), University of Washington,Seattle, Washington.
- Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1983-85.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1976-77.