College and Department Award Winners
College of Science
2012 John B. George Award
Chosen from the Dean’s Award nominees and presented to the outstanding graduating senior in the college based on academic achievement and service to the university community.
- Nicholas Weires, Chemistry (Eagle, ID)
Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award
Awarded to a graduating senior who has performed outstanding original research in science or mathematics.
- Jessica Osterloh, Environmental Science (La Grande, OR)
Awarded to the outstanding senior in each department.
- Molly Knox, Biology (West Richland, WA)
- Amanda Williams, Microbiology (Boise, ID)
- Kyle Behrens, Geography (Bonners Ferry, ID)
- Diana S., Geology (Henderson, NV)
- Katherine Phelps, Mathematics (Philomath, OR)
- Brian Hare, Physics (Oldtown, ID)
Diane Haynes Memorial Award
Presented to an outstanding graduate student in the College of Science.
- Yukta Timalsina, PhD Physics (Troy, NY)
2nd place in Disciplinary Research Presentations category at University of Idaho Innovation Showcase
- Shannon Torstrom, Biology (San Jose, CA)
Department of Biological Sciences
Curtis and Mary Sundquist Research Award
Based on potential for excellence as an undergraduate research participant.
- Savannah Patterson (Coeur d'Alene, ID)
- Michaela Brinkmeyer (Nampa, ID)
Undergraduate Research Awards
Based on potential for excellence as an undergraduate research participant
- Stephen Burleigh (El Cerrito, CA)
- Dora Boyd Cohen (Union, OR)
- Maura Franz (Post Falls, ID)
- Elizabeth St. John (Hayden, ID)
Department of Chemistry
American Institute of Chemists Student Award
- Kellen Robertson (Troy, ID)
William H. Cone Award
Presented to the outstanding senior in chemistry.
- Nicholas Weires (Eagle, ID)
Cooley Juve Award
Selected on the basis of scholarship.
- Isaiah Gyan (Cape Coast, Ghana)
Merck and Company Award
Selected on the basis of scholarship.
- Leah Knibbe (Richland, WA)
- Nathan Yergenson (Eagle, ID)
Department of Geography
Lorraine and Marcellus Henderson Award
Recognizes a graduating senior who demonstrates outstanding scholarship.
- Taylor Lundeen (Issaquah, WA)
Meritorious Achievement Award
- Kelly Ann Hugo (Salmon, ID)
Department of Geological Sciences
Liselle Batt Award
- Jennifer Lennon (Centennial, CO)
Alumni Achievement Award
Based on outstanding scholarship and service to the department.
- Curtis Johnson (Arlington, WA)
Outstanding Graduate Student
Awarded to a graduate student with outstanding research in hydrology, geology, geophysics or environmental science.
- Emily Martin (Hopkinton, NH)
Awarded to the outstanding senior in geology.
- Diana S. (Henderson, NV)
- Kim Miles (Juneau, AK)
Department of Mathematics
Awarded to seniors who have shown exceptional mathematical talent.
- Nathan Anderson (Spangle, WA)
- Sarah Helland (Olalla, WA)
- Katherine Phelps (Philomath, OR)
Chair's Award for Excellence
Awarded to graduating seniors in recognition of excellent academic performance.
- Amanda Downen (Emmett, ID)
- Audrey Hitchman (Boise, ID)
- Nishelle Klinkhamer (Kuna, ID)
- Elaine Lee (Sarawak, Malaysia)
Excellence in Teaching Mathematics Award
- Douglas Torrance (Columbus, OH)
- Zhenxia Liu (Shanghai, China)
- Jesse Oldroyd (Anchorage, AK)
- Liang Lu (Tianjin, China)
- Masaki Ikeda (Kanagawa, Japan)
Department of Physics
Research Assistant of the Year
- Aditya Abburi (Wisakahapatnam, India)
Teaching Assistant of the Year
- Sirisha Chava (Rajahmundry, India)
Department of Statistics
Dale Everson Statistics Fellowship Award
Awarded to the outstanding statistics graduate student who has demonstrated excellence in and commitment to statistical consulting.
- Boya Liu (Hefei, China)
Award winners were recognized at the College of Science Celebration reception following the general