James Osiensky, Ph.D.
Office: McClure 301B
Phone: (208) 885-4681
College of Science
Campus Locations: Moscow
University of Idaho
Professor - Groundwater Hydrology
Hydrogeologic Site Characterization
Hydrogeophysical Applications in Hydrogeology
Ground Water Resource Evaluation
- PhD, Geology, 1983—University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
- MS, Hydrology, 1979—University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
- BA, Geology/Chemistry, 1975—Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Massachusetts
- Nimmer, R.E., J.L. Osiensky, A.M. Binley, B.C. Williams. 2008. Three-dimensional effects causing artifacts in two-dimensional, cross-borehole, electrical imaging. Journal of Hydrology, 359, 59-70.
- Douglas, A.A., Osiensky, J.L., and Keller, C.K. 2007. Carbon-14 dating of ground water in the Palouse Basin of the Columbia river basalts. Journal of Hydrology 334:502-512.
- Nimmer, R.E., Osiensky, J.L., Binley, A.M., Sprenke, K.F., Williams. B.C. 2007. Electrical resistivity imaging of conductive plume dilution in fractured rock. Hydrogeology Journal 15:877-890.
- Rhode, K. L., Osiensky, J.L., and Miller, S.M. 2007. Numerical evaluation of volumetric weighted mean transmissivity estimates in laterally heterogeneous aquifers. Journal of Hydrology 347:381-390.
- Hubble, J.M., Osiensky, J.L., Nicholl, M.J., and Sisson, J.B. 2006. A suction bailer for sampling very thin saturated zones. Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation 26:52-57.
- Osiensky, J.L., Belknap, W.J., and Donaldson, P.R. 2006. Superposition of borehole-to-surface voltage residuals for Vadose Zone plume delineation. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 82:241-254.
- Tumlinson, L.G., Osiensky, J.L., and Fairley, J.P. 2006. Numerical evaluation of pumping well transmissivity estimates in laterally heterogeneous formations. Journal of Hydrology 14(1-2):21-30. doi:10.1007/s10040-004-0386-5
- Nelson, B.J., Wood, S.A., and Osiensky, J.L. 2004. Rare earth element geochemistry of groundwater in the Palouse Basin, Northern Idaho?Eastern Washington. Geochem. Explor. Environ. Anal. 4:227-242.
- Osiensky, J.L., Nimmer, R.E., and Binley, A.M. 2004. Borehole cylindrical noise during hole-surface and hole- hole resistivity measurements. Journal of Hydrology 289:78-94.
- Monitoring Wanapum Basalt/Latah Formation Sediments Combined With Long-Term Aquifer Stress Tests
This project involves the collection of regional water level data for the Wanapum Aquifer System in the Palouse Basin. In addition, large-scale hydraulic tests are being conducted to evaluate the potential to induce recharge to the Wanapum Aquifer System temporally by scheduling municipal pumping.
- Monitoring and Hydraulic Testing of the Grande Ronde Aquifer System
This project involves the collection of regional water level data for the Grande Ronde Aquifer System in the Palouse Basin. In addition, several large-scale hydraulic tests are being conducted to evaluate regional hydraulic connections, and aquifer coefficients in the Palouse Basin.
- Spontaneous Potential (SP) Generation during Pyrite Oxidation by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans
This is an interdisciplinary, collaborative, pre-proposal research project to evaluate whether the generation of electricity (SP) by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans during the oxidation of pyrite can be measured and controlled in the laboratory. This research is designed to provide preliminary baseline data for both laboratory and field-based research proposals. Future proposals will be to investigate methods to reduce the production of acid mine drainage in-situ through disruption of the Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans life cycle by passive perturbations of natural electric fields.