John Abatzoglou, Ph.D.
College of Science
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Geography
With UI Since 2009
Ph.D., 2006, Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
B.S., 2000, Atmospheric Science, University of California, Davis
Dr. Abatzoglou’s research interests span the meteorological-climatological continuum and both basic and applied scientific questions. He conducts research on atmospheric circulation and its manifestation over western North American including teleconnection regimes, monsoon surges and drought. He is also engaged in several aspects of applied climatology and meteorology specific to wildfire, hydrology and agriculture. Dr. Abatzoglou is also an active contributor to several large multi-institute/agency grants to assess climate impacts in a changing climate by devising methods to bridge the gap between global climate models and scales needed by the research community and stakeholders.
- Abatzoglou, J.T. and C.A. Kolden. 2011, Climate change in western US deserts: potential for increased wildﬁre and invasive annual grasses, Rangeland Ecology and Management (special issue), doi:10.2111/REM-D-09-00151.1
- Stahle, D.W., R.D. Griﬃn, M.K. Cleaveland, J.R. Edmondson, F.K. Fye, D.J. Burnette, J.T. Abatzoglou, K.T. Redmond, D.M. Meko, M.D. Dettinger, D.R. Cayan and M.D. Therrell, 2011. A Tree-Ring Reconstruction of the Salinity Gradient in the Northern Estuary of San Francisco Bay. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science, 9(1).
- Abatzoglou, J.T. and C.A. Kolden. 2011, Relative Importance of Weather and Climate on Wildﬁre Growth in Interior Alaska, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 20(4) 479-486 doi:10.1071/WF10046
- Abatzoglou, J.T., and T.J. Brown. 2011, A Comparison of Statistical Downscaling Methods Suited for Wildﬁre Applications, International Journal of Climatology, doi:10.1002/joc.2312
- Cordero, E.C., W. Kessomkiat, J.T. Abatzoglou and S.A. Mauget. 2011, Identiﬁcation of Distinct Patterns in California Temperature Trends, Climatic Change, doi:10.1007/s10584- 011-0023-y
- Holden, Z.A, J.T. Abatzoglou, L.S. Baggett and C. Luce. 2011, Empirical downscaling of daily minimum air temperature at very ﬁne resolutions in complex terrain, Agricultural And Forest Meteorology, doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2011.03.011
- Miller, C., J.T Abatzoglou, T.J. Brown, T., and A. Syphard. 2011, Wilderness Fire Management in a Changing Environment, In: Landscape Ecology of Fire, McKenzie, D., C. Miller and D. Falk [eds.], doi:10.1007/978-94-007-0301-8
- Abatzoglou, J.T, 2011, Inﬂuence of the PNA on Declining Mountain Snowpack in the Western United States, International Journal of Climatology, doi:10.1002/joc.2137
- Crimmins, S.M, S.Z. Dobrowski, J.A. Greenberg, J.T. Abatzoglou, and A.R. Mynsberge, 2011. Changes in climatic water balance drive downhill shifts in plant species optimum elevations. Science 331: 324-327