Applicants must satisfy these minimum requirements:
- Bachelors degree and prior cumulative GPA of 2.8 or better
- Acceptable GRE scores (most of our students have a combined verbal/quantitative score of at least 1150)
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL and score better than 550 (paper-based) or 79 (computer-based).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of career objectives
Additionally, admission into the program is dependent on the availability of a geography faculty member to serve as major advisor in the topic area of the student’s research emphasis. Students are encouraged to contact directly those faculty members whose research interests overlap with their own.
A committee will evaluate incoming undergraduate background to determine if any additional fundamental courses in either physical or human geography should be taken. This is done on a case-by-case basis to provide breadth in Geography. Students with a B.A. or B.S. degree in Geography as may others with a degree in Geography may already satisfy this requirement.
The plan for deficiencies should be approved by the student’s committee and the department chair. Any coursework required to remove the deficiencies should be taken as early in the student’s program as possible.